We recently asked the BuzzFeed Community about the things that annoy them the most in rom-com movies. Here are some of the best results they submitted.
1. Airport dash scenes. Why do they always need to rush to the airport?
2. Also, let's be honest, airport security is a joke in rom-com world.
3. Single people can apparently afford to have really nice apartments in big cities.
How is that possible? We can afford a box in a basement.
4. And then there are the small details that just don't add up.
5. There's always a guy who is an absolute jerk who somehow becomes the main love interest.
6. And what about the "he's a fuckboy but there's something different about him" clichè? Hmm?
7. Or a man who pursues a woman who isn't interested in him or even vehemently dislikes him.
8. In fact, the normalisation of the stalking that characters do to win or win back the ones they want is pretty worrying when you think about it.
9. There's also always the message being sent out that guys are the be-all and end-all of EVERYTHING.
10. And what about the cheating? SO. MUCH. CHEATING. And it's condoned and always results in ultimate happiness.
11. Apparently females only have one kind of job – being a writer or working in fashion.
12. There's always a friend who's unlucky in love because she's too outspoken and confident to get a man.
What is wrong with confidence?
13. And what about the questionable relationships that are actually kinda creepy in rom-coms?
Cher ends up dating her stepbrother in Clueless. I KNOW, they're not blood-related, but that's still kind of weird, is it not? And the teacher falling for a pretend student in Never Been Kissed. Don't tell me that's not odd as well.
14. Makeovers. So. Many. Makeovers. Apparently you can only get a guy if you conform to society's beauty standards.
15. Especially by just taking your glasses off. Apparently glasses = ugly, no glasses = instant attraction.
Great message to people who can't help it if they have to wear glasses, guys.
–BlueBirdZoe and Bill Poon, Facebook
16. Apparently all married people are sex-deprived.
17. And what is it with kissing in the rain?
18. And the fact the girl is never wearing waterproof mascara. She must always have black streaks down her face.
19. ALSO...the lack of communication. A lot of these plots could be fixed if they just had ONE one-minute conversation.
20. The girls always have a lot of orgasms every time they have sex. Every time.
21. And have you ever noticed the double standards throughout rom-com storylines?
22. And with it comes slut-shaming.
23. Then there's the rom-coms that feature super toxic friendships.
24. The gay best friend who is only there to be a sparkly accessory who makes the occasional funny quip.
25. When the man is 20 years older than the woman, and not only is it not an issue, no one notices.
26. When one of them always decides to quit their job and leave town because love will never happen for them in a city of 5 million people.
27. Or when the girl decides to leave town at the exact moment the guy realises she's the one for him.
28. All the times we see people calling off a wedding at the last minute, maybe even as the guests are waiting.
29. No matter how dumb, old, or awkward the dude is, the woman is always young, skinny, and attractive.
30. In fact, the lead female is almost always super slim and incredibly attractive.
Friends With Benefits, 27 Dresses, Pretty Woman, Sweet Home Alabama, What's Your Number?, Good Luck Chuck, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Maid in Manhattan, My Best Friend's Wedding...
–Sara Lee, Facebook