15 "Sex And The City" Moments That Aged Very, Very Poorly
"White guy with a baby. Wherever he's going, that's where we need to be." —Miranda apartment hunting in Brooklyn
1. When Carrie learned that Barkley, the Soho womanizer, videotaped his sexual experiences with models without their consent, and the show just brushed it off like it was nothing.
2. When Miranda went apartment hunting in Brooklyn and told her son they needed to follow the "white guy with a baby" in order to secure a "good home" for themselves.
3. When Carrie complained to the girls about her gold engagement ring from Aidan, and stated she only wore "ghetto gold" jewelry for "fun."
4. When Samantha dated Chivon in Season 3 and made horribly racist comments about their relationship.
5. And when the SATC writers leaned into the problematic "angry Black woman" trope to make Samantha look "innocent" compared to Chivon's sister, Adeena.
6. When Miranda, Carrie, Samantha, and Charlotte traveled to Abu Dhabi and did extremely culturally insensitive things, like wear niqābs so they could escape a "mob" and get to the airport before being bumped from first class.
7. When Carrie's boyfriend told her he identified as bisexual, and she couldn't stop criticizing him behind his back.
8. When Samantha gained 15 pounds after moving to LA, and the girls held an intervention where they essentially fat-shamed her.
9. When the girls were totally unsupportive when Samantha explored her sexuality and had a relationship with a woman named Maria.
10. And when Samantha broke up with Maria because they talked about their feelings too much, perpetuating an annoying stereotype about woman-loving-woman relationships.
11. When Miranda had a hard time buying an apartment in Manhattan because of a sexist broker, and Charlotte suggested it was her fault because she was an independent woman.
12. When Samantha hosted the girls at her apartment and made an inappropriate comment that queer men only cared about fashion and having sex.
13. And when she ended her loving relationship with James because he had a small penis.
14. When the SATC team leaned into the annoying trope that a woman's favorite hobby in life was shopping for clothes and shoes.
15. And when Samantha complained about the Black trans sex workers outside of her apartment building and called them a derogatory term.
Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.