We recently asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us the most annoying misconceptions about Southerners. Here's what they had to say.
1. For some unknown reason, some people believe that everyone in the South is uneducated and ignorant.
2. And they think that just because you might speak slowly means you also think slowly.
3. On that note, your Southern accent has NOTHING to do with your intelligence.
4. People tend to think that all Southerners are Republicans, while, in fact, people of all political persuasions call the South home.
5. And, sadly, some people suggest that everyone from the South is racist and homophobic.
6. If you're a guy, people think you're either a farmer or a cowboy...
7. ...and if you're a girl, people think you're either Scarlett O'Hara or Daisy Duke.
—Laila Razmyar, Facebook