2. The official color of the universe is “Cosmic Latte” (#FFF8E7).
In 2001, Johns Hopkins astronomers Karl Glazebrook and Ivan Baldry undertook a survey of the spectral range of color of all light in the universe and proclaimed it a beige-y, milkish white (above). The survey explored more than 200,000 galaxies.
3. A Swedish couple named their kid “Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116.” The name is pronounced “Albin.”
They claimed it was “a pregnant, expressionistic development that we see as an artistic creation.” Sweden fined them 5,000 kronor.
7. A “dancing plague” killed people in Strasbourg in 1518.
A “dancing mania” began in July 1518, when a woman began to dance fervently in a street for about four to six days. Eventually she was joined by about 400 dancers. There aren’t any concrete statistics on fatalities, but some of these people eventually died from heart attack, stroke, or exhaustion.
8. Harry Nilsson’s song “Coconut” (“she put the lime in the coconut,” etc.) has only one chord in the entire song. It’s the only song without any chord changes to land on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
It reached No. 8 in 1972.
10. When a male honeybee climaxes during sex, his testicles explode and he dies.
11. The USSR requested a clear-colored Coca-Cola in the 1940s so that it looked like vodka.
Marshal of the Soviet Union Georgy Zhukov requested a clear version of the drink so that he wouldn’t be seen drinking Coca-Cola in public; Coke was regarded in the Soviet Union as a symbol of American imperialism. To satisfy his request, a chemist removed the soda’s caramel color, and Coca-Cola put the drink in a clear bottle with a white cap and red star. Fifty cases were sent over to Russia. The precursor to Crystal Pepsi, perhaps?
18. Marilyn Monroe had a higher IQ (163) than that of Albert Einstein (160).
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- A vandal allegedly smashed glass, overturned benches, and tossed a Bible inside a Colorado mosque early Sunday morning.
- United Airlines stopped 3 girls from flying because they were wearing leggings. The rule applies to travelers on "company benefit travel."
- "Orange Is The New Black" actor Samira Wiley and writer Lauren Morelli officially tied the knot in Palm Springs 🌴