We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community and staff what their most burning baking questions were.
1. To bake perfectly flat cakes, wrap the outside of the pan in a damp towel or reusable cake strip.
2. Bringing eggs to room temperature before baking is useless ― unless you're planning to whip them.
3. For perfectly shaped cookies, bring your dough to room temperature before baking.
4. To make cakey cookies, add baking powder or whip more air into the batter.
5. When using gluten-free flour, read the ingredients to make sure it contains a binding agent.
6. Use the 3-2-1 method for perfectly tender pie crusts.
7. When baking vegan cakes, ditch the egg replacers and use a recipe designed to be baked without 'em.
8. To avoid hard or dried out brown sugar, store it an air-tight container or microwave it.
9. Yes, the wet vs. dry divide really does matter.
10. When making crème brûlée, always temper your eggs and use a water bath to prevent them from scrambling.
11. To frost a perfectly crumb-free coat, chill your first layer of frosting overnight.
12. To cool down an overly hot oven, simply leave the door open (but give it plenty of time to heat back up).
Let's get baking!
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.