1. Bill Murray nearly drowned after Hunter S. Thompson tied him to a chair and threw him in a swimming pool.
2. He was offered the role of Forrest Gump, but turned it down.
3. He once walked into a student house party in Scotland, drank some vodka, did their dishes, and left.
4. He’s only seen one episode of Seinfeld. It was the finale, and he thought it was terrible.
5. When he was 20, Murray was arrested after trying to smuggle 9 pounds of marijuana through O’Hare Airport.
6. Bill Murray has eight siblings. His sister, Nancy, is a Dominican nun who frequently puts on a one-woman show about St. Catherine of Siena.
7. As a kid, he was kicked out of both Boy Scouts and Little League for causing too much trouble.
8. He worked as a golf caddy in high school.
9. He actually bowled those three strikes in a row at the end of Kingpin.
10. He gave Wes Anderson $25,000 for the helicopter scene in Rushmore, even though he, himself, was only paid $9,000 for his role.
11. He only agreed to work on Garfield because he thought it was a Coen brothers movie. (It was not.)
12. Bill Murray got behind a bar at SXSW in 2010 and started serving drinks. No matter what people ordered, he would serve them tequila shots.
13. He doesn’t have an agent, just an 800 number where people can call and pitch him movies in a voicemail.
14. He was the very first guest on Late Night with David Letterman in 1982.
15. He filmed Caddyshack in six days and improvised every line.
16. In his opinion, Kung Fu Hustle is “the supreme achievement of the modern age in terms of comedy.”
17. Steve Carrell’s role in Little Miss Sunshine was actually written for Bill Murray.
18. He accidentally broke Robert De Niro’s nose in 1993.
19. Once, Murray got lost on a motorcycle in Bali, showed up at a village, and put on a show for the locals, even though he didn’t speak the language.
20. He showed up on an NYU archaeological dig in the Mediterranean in 2006.
21. He was arrested in Stockholm on suspicion of drunk driving a golf cart, but he wasn’t drunk; he was just dropping some friends off at a 7-Eleven after a golf tournament.
22. The actor was pressured to hire a personal assistant by the producers of Groundhog Day, so he hired a deaf assistant who spoke American Sign Language.
23. He recently popped up at a stranger’s bachelor party in Charleston, S.C., where he gave an incredible speech about marriage and finding the one.
24. Murray was offered the role of Buzz Lightyear, but turned it down.
25. He’s part-owner of the RiverDogs, a minor league baseball team in Charleston. Once, during a rain delay, he used the tarp as a slip ‘n’ slide.
- Sixteen people died after a hot air balloon caught fire and crashed in Texas Saturday.