45 Facts You Probably Never Knew About "The Simpsons"
Everything's coming up Mussolini.
1. Apart from working at the nuclear power plant, Homer has had 187 other jobs over the course of the show.
2. When Michael Jackson guest starred in Season 3, he wouldn't permit the show to use his name. He was credited as John Jay Smith.
3. Conan O' Brien was a writer from 1991–1993.
4. Conan created the character of the Sea Captain.
5. The writers of The Simpsons sent flowers to the writers of South Park after South Park parodied Family Guy in an episode.
6. Comic Book Guy's real name is Jeff Albertson.
7. Smithers was originally drawn as African-American. Writers thought it was too much having a character who was both gay and black, so changed his skin colour but kept him gay.
8. Marge appeared on the cover of real-life Playboy magazine in 2009.
9. Homer's catchphrase "D'oh" is written in the script as "annoyed grunt".
10. In German-dubbed episodes of The Simpsons, D'oh is translated to "Nein!"; in French-dubbed episodes, it is pronounced "T'oh".
11. In episodes shown in Arabic countries, Homer drinks soda instead of beer, and eats Egyptian beef sausages instead of hot dogs. The show is known as al-Shamshoon.
12. Sideshow Bob's prisoner number was 24601, the same as Jean Valjean in Les Misérables.
13. Principal Skinner's prisoner number in Vietnam was also 24601.
14. Bart's locker combination is 36-24-26, the numbers from AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap".
15. One of Cletus's children is named Crystal Meth.
16. Homer's email address is ChunkyLover53@aol.com.
17. "Do the Bartman" topped the UK and Australian singles charts in 1990, but was never released as a single in the US.
19. Elizabeth Taylor, Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin, Mark Hamill, Steve Buscemi, and Joe Mantegna are the only actors to play both themselves and a fictional character on the series.
20. Yeardley Smith, who voices Lisa, is the only cast member to voice only one regular character on the show.
21. The sound of a crow cawing is played in almost every establishing shot of the Springfield Power Plant.
22. The Simpsons have visited every continent over the course of the show.
23. In its 27 years of screen time, 244 other shows have come and gone on the Fox network.
24. Anne Hathaway, Kelsey Grammer, and Jackie Mason have all won Emmys for outstanding voiceover work for their appearances on The Simpsons.
25. Bart's middle name is JoJo.
26. The couch gag is a way to adjust the show's running time to the necessary length. If it's a particularly short episode, they make a longer couch gag, like that extra-long circus-themed one that literally everybody remembers.
27. Hank Scorpio was supposed to be the villain in The Simpsons Movie but was replaced by Russ Cargill. Both characters were voiced by Albert Brooks.
28. Milhouse's middle name is Mussolini. He has an Italian grandmother and speaks Italian fluently.
29. Fox owns the rights to the show until 2082.
30. The Simpsons popularised the use of the word "meh".
31. Originally, Krusty was going to be Homer's secret identity – that's why the two look similar and share mannerisms. However, it was decided that was too complex a storyline to write into the show.
32. Luke Perry is Krusty's half-brother.
33. The episode where Bart wins an elephant is based on an actual incident from 1956 where a Price Is Right contestant was offered $4,000 or a gag prize of an elephant, and chose the elephant.
34. When all the McBain scenes from the show are played back to back, they form a coherent movie, which you can watch here.
35. Showrunner Al Jean wants to end the final episode of The Simpsons with the arrival at a Christmas pageant. This is how the first episode started, and would make the entire show one continuous loop.
36. Both "embiggen" and "cromulent" are words invented by The Simpsons, and have now been used in scholarly articles and are in the dictionary.
37. A lot of characters are named after streets in Portland, Oregon, where Matt Groening grew up. There's a Van Houten Avenue, a Quimby Street, and a Terwilliger Boulevard.
38. Most characters are yellow because, according to Matt Groening, "when you're flicking through channels with your remote control, and a flash of yellow goes by, you'll know you're watching The Simpsons".
39. Homer is the only character to have dialogue in every single episode.
40. Lionel Hutz says he has a law degree from Princeton, a university that does not, in fact, offer law degrees.
41. Sideshow Bob is voiced by Kelsey Grammer aka Frasier. Sideshow Bob's brother is voiced by David Hyde Pierce, who also plays Frasier's brother. And Sideshow Bob's father is voiced by, you guessed it, the same guy who voiced Frasier's dad.
42. According to this family tree drawn by Matt Groening, Homer and Mr Burns are distantly related.
43. In Homer's "I Am So Smart" song, Dan Castellaneta actually spelled S-M-R-T wrong by accident, but they thought it was funny, and kept it in the show.
44. Matt Groening's parents are named Homer and Marge, and his sisters are named Maggie and Lisa. Bart was going to be named after Matt, but instead Bart was chosen as it is an anagram of "brat".
45. Before his death, Phil Hartman, who voiced Troy McClure, was very interested in developing a live-action film about his character, and was prepared to buy the rights himself to make it happen.