We hope you love the products and services we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Oh, and FYI, prices and rates are accurate as of time of publication.
Filing your taxes is one of those things you just (hopefully) get better at with experience. It's also one of those things you can only understand by actually going through the process for yourself. Sometimes, though, mistakes get made and while some end up being more expensive than others, you learn what to do differently for next year.
2. Not being extra cautious when filing your taxes by hand (aka, printing the forms online and filling in the figures by hand).
3. Forgetting to include important income or withholding figures.
5. Not realizing that you actually need to pay taxes on canceled debt.
6. Not double-checking for misplaced commas and periods.
8. Misunderstanding how to properly identify which filing status actually applies to you.
Do you have any tax filing tips you think other people would find useful? Let us know in the comments below!
And if this sounds like music to your ears (and bank account), check out more of our personal finance posts.
Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.