TV shows are always bringing in old friends and long-lost kids — and oftentimes, they quickly completely forget about them, even when it comes to their own family member's wedding or funeral. Sometimes, a character is even a part of the main cast, and yet the writers just weirdly leave them out of a major event.
1. Like, remember Jake's half-sister Kate on Brooklyn Nine-Nine? There was a whole episode about her, and it ended with her and Jake promising to keep in touch.
And then she didn't come to Jake and Amy's wedding a few episodes later. I know their wedding got a little messed up, but still. She's not even in town for her brother's wedding?
2. A big deal was made over Mark getting to see his daughter Sofia again when he was dying on Grey’s Anatomy.
But...what about his other daughter Sloan? Does anyone even reach out to her?
3. Speaking of Grey's...where the heck was Addison when Derek died??
4. One of the weirdest examples is from 30 Rock, when Jenna wasn't at Liz's wedding, even though she was literally in that episode. Just...why? Did the writers somehow forget Jenna and Liz were friends?
5. Tony and Effy seemed super close on Skins.
But he didn't even show up when Effy attempted suicide and when she was in the hospital — despite her supporting him after his accident in an earlier season.
6. Similarly, Maya’s dad basically disappeared on Degrassi.
He wasn't there when her boyfriend died, and he wasn't at the hospital after her suicide attempt.
7. On Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Giles was way more of a father figure to Anya and Xander than anyone in their own circles/families.
But then he wasn't even invited to their big wedding?
8. There are sooo many in Gossip Girl. Like, why did Jack show up the episode *after* Bart's funeral? Wouldn't he have been at his own brother's funeral?
9. I know we all hated Aaron Rose, but he was still Cyrus's son and Blair's stepbrother. Except...we never saw him after Season 2, and he wasn't present at either of Blair's weddings.
10. Anyone else find it strange that Dan's mom was never seen again after Season 1? Like, not even for his wedding to Serena?
11. There are also a ton on The Big Bang Theory. Like, remember when Sheldon establishes that his mom comes to every one of his award ceremonies?
And then his mom isn't even at his NOBEL PRIZE ceremony, despite that being the highest honor he can achieve.
12. Anyone else notice Bernadette's mom wasn't at her wedding?
13. Or that Meemaw wasn't at Sheldon's wedding?
14. Benson and Stabler were partners for over a decade on Law & Order: SVU.
Yet he didn't come back to help or even check in on her after she was literally kidnapped.
15. Similarly, Derek and Spencer had worked together for years on Criminal Minds. But Derek didn't return for the series finale, even though Spencer was in the hospital.
16. It was SUPER bizarre that Luke couldn't think of anyone to invite to his wedding in Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life...
...seeing as he literally has two kids: April and Jess.
17. It was also super weird that Christopher wasn't at Rory’s high school graduation.
18. Christy's kids, Violet and Roscoe, literally disappeared into thin air on Mom.
They weren't even at Bonnie's wedding!
19. Or their own mother's graduation!
20. Lassiter's sister also disappeared on Pysch. What was the point of introducing her if she wasn't going to be in other episodes, like his wedding episode?
21. And finally, when Dorothy got married on Golden Girls...where were her kids, grandkids, sister, and sister-in-law? That feels like a LOT of people to not show up at your big church wedding.
What other inconsistencies arising from characters leaving shows bother you? Let us know in the comments!
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.