11. …but you soon learned to love the fact that you no longer needed to leave a two-block radius to have a fun night out.
(i.e., drink cocktails in a bar frequented by more than two stinky alcoholic regulars and eat a meal that wasn’t prepared behind the Domino’s counter.)
14. You went to metal and hardcore shows at L’Amour (and feel weird reading it spelled like that because you always called it L’Amours).
And if you didn’t have a car, after shows ended you waited in angsty packs on the subway platform for a train back home…for like, an hour.
16. Sucked to be you if you lived in Marine Park, Mill Basin, or Red Hook, because you knew none of your friends were coming over to hang in the hood that was roughly 1738921 miles from the nearest subway stop.
There wasn’t even an Ikea to lure them your way.
17. You remember when the L train was the LL — and if you don’t, as a commuting teen you were totally confused by your parents calling it the LL train for years after the second letter was dropped.
18. When you hear the word “freestyle,” your mind doesn’t turn to rap but to the purest form of dance music created by angels from above:
TKA, Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam, Lil’ Suzy, Exposé, Shannon…
25. You pronounce it DEE-kalb, not deh-KALB.
28. Your junior high and high school dances looked something like this:
And to this day, you’re still not really sure how to dance any other way.
29. Favorite school trip? The one you made here every year. Penguinnnnnnns!
PS: The aquarium had been temporarily closed due to the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, and it partially reopened on May 25. Donations to help rebuild the aquarium can be made here.
35. You remember when Malcolm X was filmed here…
36. …and Requiem for a Dream…
38. This song is totally played out, but you still get pumped and sing along when you hear it.
And cornily shout out your neighborhood when it comes up.
- The gunman who killed at least 10 people at a Munich, Germany mall on Friday was an 18-year-old "obsessed" with mass shootings, police said.