1. Yes: The hot pink dresses Hilary and Ashley wore for Will and Lisa's wedding on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
Full marks for the colour suiting both Hilary and Ashley, and them wearing different styles (there is no Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants version of a bridesmaid dress, give it up).
2. No: The candy-themed pink dress for Kimmy's Choose Your Own Adventure Wedding in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
Let this be a lesson to you: a theme can go too far.
The sleeves, super shiny fabric, and short A-line skirt are also all dreadful.
3. Yes: The deep red dresses the Glee girls wore for Carole and Burt's wedding.
I am rarely a fan of a short bridesmaids dress, but these are all universally cute but still formal 'n' fancy. They all fit really well and I *particularly* love the cut of Rachel's dress.
4. Yes: Darby's black dress for Olivia and Fitz's wedding on Scandal.
At first l was like, hmm okay, this is fine, but THEN I saw Darby's holding the massive red bouquet which looks like a floral off-shoulder neckline when it's held up. THE DRAMA.
5. No: The yellow dresses from when Max and Caroline went bridesmaid dress shopping for Sophie's wedding in 2 Broke Girls.
I mean, these are obviously the punchline of a joke as they are truly monstrous dresses. But also I think it's a shame that 'ugly bridesmaids dresses' are such a thing! I'm getting married next year and want my bridal party to look and feel as good as I do??
Also, unless someone turns up in a massive white dress, I don't think I can be upstaged?
6. Yes: The white bridesmaids dresses for Queen Elizabeth's wedding on The Crown.
Yes to this whole vibe. The massive bouquets, the head pieces, the gloves, oh my god I love it all.
Look at the vista they make beside Queen Elizabeth! Like 1940s royal flower nymphs.
7. No: The green bridesmaids dresses from Anya and Xander's wedding on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
I don't hate these as much as maybe I should do. I really love the colour. Like I think this would be fantastic dress if they took off the frilly bit on the sleeves. And the flower. And the frilly flared part of the skirt.
8. Yes: Charlotte Grayson's black bridesmaid dress for Emily and Daniel's wedding in Revenge.
I want to wear this dress. It's understated and chic, but still ~fashion~ with the cut out bits. And I like that this works as a bridesmaid dress but you can also see Charlotte getting a lot of use out of it?
9. No: The brown dress Brooke wore for Lucas and Peyton's wedding on One Tree Hill.
I ummed and ahhed over Brooke's dress for so long, because there are parts I like! The fitted bodice mainly. But that's kind of it. Hate the short skater skirt with the long bit at the back and really don't like that specific shade of brown dress that appeared at so many 2000s weddings.
10. No: The pink bridesmaids dresses for April And Matthew's wedding on Grey's Anatomy.
Behold, the march of the Greys Anatomy 2000s bridesmaid dresses. This pink dress is FINE. Nothing more, nothing less. The epitome of not outshining the bride.
The colour and style are all pretty but there's no ZING. Also I'm not sure you would wear this dress anywhere else.
11. Yes: The mauve bridesmaids dresses for Izzie And Alex's wedding on Grey's Anatomy.
It's a no on the colour as I don't like mauve, but I am willing to admit that it is just a me thing. Otherwise I think these are more wearable outside being a bridesmaid than the pink ones.
I also don't love the ruching. Tbh, these only got a yes because I think Cristina looks great here.