We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to share the moments in How I Met Your Mother that they've found problematic while rewatching in 2018. Here are some of the best responses.
1. The fucked up treatment of women throughout the show.
2. Lily and Robin constantly slut-shaming other women.
3. Ted making Robin get rid of her dogs because they reminded him of her exes.
4. Barney's behaviour bordering on – and sometimes actually being – sexual assault.
5. The treatment of Patrice.
6. In fact, the show's treatment of overweight people generally.
7. The whole Ducky Tie bet debacle.
8. Everything about "The Naked Man" episode.
9. The "Playbook" episode blaming women for being manipulated into sex.
10. The disparity between the male and female character's jobs.
11. And the sexual double standards between the male and female characters.
12. Robin getting shit for not wanting kids, and the handling of her infertility diagnosis.
13. As well as her character arc generally.
14. Ted always refusing to take "no" for an answer.
15. Robin's relationship with her dad being treated as a joke.
16. The recurring character Ranjit.
17. And when they dressed up as Chinese characters.
18. The transphobic comments.
19. And all of the homophobic comments.
20. And the treatment of lesbianism.
21. Robin dating her therapist.
22. Everything about Barney's "Mermaid Theory."
23. The Hot/Crazy scale.
24. And, finally, the fact that Barney "once sold a woman."
Some submissions have been edited for length/clarity