1. In Japanese culture, modesty and reticence are traditionally valued over outspokenness and expressions of love and appreciation are uncommon, even among married couples.
2. For the past 5 years, Tokyo’s “Devoted Husbands Organization” has encouraged men to publically declare their feelings for their significant others on “Love Your Wife Day.” The annual celebration falls on January 31st.
3. At the event, husbands stood onstage in a public park to express gratitude for everything from children to homemade lunches.
4. “I’m sorry that I’ve gained weight over the last seven years,” a suit-clad man yelled. “But that’s because the meals you cook are so delicious.”
5. Another businessman took the stage to proclaim: “I can fly higher because you’re with me. Please stand by me forever.”
6. “I’ll hug you very tight tonight,” one husband promised. “Thank you for your love.”
7. “He’s very fabulous and manly today,” said Yuko Todo, 33, after her husband Takeshi’s performance. “It just reminded me how macho he used to be - I’d forgotten that in the eight years we’ve been married. My heart pounded.”
8. The event ended with all participants shouting “I love you” together onstage.
9. WATCH the public declarations of love:
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 247 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is ramping up outreach to Hispanic voters as it prepares for the final stretch in the run against Trump.
- WhatsApp will start sharing your account info with Facebook. You can decline the new policy, but must opt into it first 📲😵