1. During the opening ceremony’s parade of nations, many athletes wore gloves with multicolored fingers, including the entire Greek Olympic team.
2. Some people watching the ceremony incorrectly assumed that the athletes were wearing rainbow gloves as a sign of LGBT pride in opposition to Russia’s discriminatory laws.
3. Actually, the multicolored accessories are the official gloves of the Sochi Winter Olympics.
5. The gloves are part of the official merchandise and are available for sale all over Sochi.
6. Basically, if there’s no purple and one of the colors is black, it’s not meant to represent a rainbow.
- French towns are continuing to enforce a ban on Muslim women wearing the burkini despite the country's highest administrative court ruling the ban illegal.
- Facebook shifts to algorithms to decide which stories to highlight in its trending news section after allegations of liberal bias at the company.
- Donald Trump says the shooting of NBA star Dwyane Wade's cousin is evidence of high crime rates he believes will boost his support among black people in November's election.