5. Ketchup used to be sold as medicine.
6. The birthday of the oldest pereson on Earth, Misao Okawa, is closer to the date the constitution was ratified than now.
7. Also, the day that person was born, there was a completely different set of people on Earth.
8. Coconuts kill more people than sharks every year. So do cows.
9. German is the second most spoken language in North Dakota.
10. Norway once knighted a penguin.
13. A day on the planet Venus is longer than a year on Venus.
14. If you are in a room with 23 people, there’s more than a 50% chance that two of the people have the same birthday.
15. A TI-83 calculator has six times more processing power than the computer that landed Apollo 11 on the moon.
16. This is what an eclipse on Earth looks like from space:
17. Cambridge University is older than the Aztec and Inca empires.
18. Calculus was derived years after Harvard was founded.
19. Beethoven and George Washington were alive at the same time - in fact, George Washington was in his 40s when Beethoven was born.
20. The last veteran of the American Civil War died in 1959, long enough to see the atomic bomb dropped in Japan.
21. There are more ways to shuffle a deck of cards than there are atoms on Earth.
22. 111,111,111 × 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321.
23. Cows have best friends and they tend to spend most of their time together.
24. Horses are not able to breathe through their mouths.
25. The names of Popeye’s four nephews are Pipeye, Peepeye, Pupeye, and Poopeye.
29. There is a basketball court on the top floor of the U.S. Supreme Court Building. It’s known as the “highest court in the land.”
30. A pig’s orgasm for as long as a half hour.
31. Hours before his assassination, Martin Luther King Jr. had a pillow fight in the hotel he was staying at.
32. New York City is further south than Rome, Italy.
33. Scotland is farther north than Alaska.
34. Not only is Reno, Nev., west of Los Angeles, but so are six state capitals.
35. If you’re in Detroit and you walk south, you’ll actually walk into Canada.
36. A “butt load” is an actual unit of measurement, equivalent to 126 gallons.
37. There are more people living inside this circle than outside of it:
38. France is the country with the most time zones in the world.
39. There is less time between the existence of the Tyrannosaurus Rex and the existence of humans than there was between the Tyrannosaurus Rex and the Stegosaurus.
40. Crocodiles are more closely related to birds than to lizards.
41. Africa is bigger than the United States, China, India, Spain, France, and several other countries combined.
45. A cubic inch of bone is about four times as strong as concrete.
46. You can get a rough estimate of the temperature by counting the number of times a cricket chirps in 15 seconds, then adding 37.
47. There are more lakes in Canada than in the rest of the world combined.
48. The feeling you get when something is so cute you can’t help but want to squeeze it is called “cute aggression.”
49. “Will Will Smith smith?” and “Will Smith will smith” are sentences that make complete sense.
50. There are more public libraries than McDonald’s in the U.S.
51. The voices of Yoda and Miss Piggy were done by the same person.
52. AOL still earns millions every few months from dial-up subscribers.
53. More tigers live in Texas compared to the rest of the world.
54. This is how a ladybug flies:
55. It’s possible to sail a boat from Pakistan to Russia if you sail in a completely straight line.
56. On average, astronauts are two inches taller in space.
57. Shakespeare and Pocahontas both lived during the same time.
58. And Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln have the same exact birthday - down to the year.
59. There are some trees alive today that were alive before the pyramids were built.
60. Air Force One is not the name of a specific plane, but the name of any plane carrying the president.
61. There is only one US state that doesn’t have any of the letters that are in “mackerel.” in its name:Ohio.
70. If you get a kidney transplant, the affected kidney is left in place while a third, new kidney, is put in your pelvis.
71. One million seconds is 11 days. One billion seconds is 33 years. A billion is a lot.
72. And, just in case you forgot, the brain named itself.
This post has been updated to meet our attribution standards.
- It's Day 2 of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. Here's what you need to know.
- Three Qaddafi henchmen who are wanted for embezzling millions from Libya have been found living comfortably in Britain.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a church attack that killed a priest in northern France on Tuesday.