People Are Sharing The Things North America Does Better Than Europe, And You Can Take It Or Leave It
Aaaaaaand we're back again with another divisive post about North America!
1. "I would say cartoons. I have to hand it to you guys — your animations are brilliant. The Simpsons, South Park (which always has me questioning, 'Did i just see that?!'), and King of the Hill for what I call assassination humor. It's subtle, subtle, subtle...and suddenly out of nowhere, BAM! You split your sides laughing. Yep, you guys have great cartoons, I'll give you that."
3. "It's not a physical thing, but North America does 'optimism' better. I've lived in three countries and three continents so far (including Europe and North America). There is something in the air in North America that instills a sense of 'Go for it!' in me..."
"...As vague as it sounds, I found that in the EU, the idea of doing something on your own immediately leads to a sense of, 'No way that will work out.'"
4. "Talking. I visited the US two years ago and people were so friendly and talkative. I can't recall the last time someone small-talked with me in Sweden."
5. "Americans on average seem to have been brought up to have more self-esteem/confidence. It can be annoying at times, but generally I think it's a good trait to have to live a more fulfilling life."
6. "Cars give you right of way when you're walking and let you go. Goes along with the outward friendliness of US culture, which I liked."
7. "Theme parks. Cedar Point is the best place in the world if you love roller coasters."
8. "You have conventions in like every state, it seems. While here in Denmark, we have zero."
9. "The way they provide a tall glass of cold water as soon as you are seated at a restaurant. In Europe, they are way too into bottled water and fancy water. I just want to chug some tap water — it's so refreshing."
11. "There's much less of a class system. Most jobs are respected or romanticized in some sense."
12. "Representatives of American and Canadian businesses understand the ramifications of bad word of mouth and generally try hard to prevent it from happening, one customer at a time. ... If you are unhappy with a purchase, you simply return it and get your money back, no questions asked. If the movie you go to see disappoints you in the first half hour, you ask for a ticket to a different movie."
13. "I have to mention superheroes. Batman, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Iron Man, X-Men, Superman, and of course CAPTAIN AMERICA. The Europeans don't have anything that can compete with that."
15. "The US railroad network is in many ways superior to that of any other nation. Everybody just thinks it's crap because it takes forever to take the train somewere. Yeah, it does, but that's because a few million tons of stuff has higher priority on the rails than you do."
16. "Ice cream flavor variety. Seriously, my English friends are always amazed when I tell them about the varieties."
17. "Public toilets, or the availability of toilets in public places."
Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.