We asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us about the best lipsticks they bought in 2016. Here's what they had to say:
1. Try the new ~trendy~ brand everyone has fallen in love with: Colourpop Ultra Satin Lipsticks.
"I love the shades Prim (my favorite), Magic Wand, and Echo Park. They look like a liquid lipstick but aren't drying compared to other liquid lips and are super pigmented in one swipe. So inexpensive and have a beautiful range of colors. They transfer but still stay on the lips for a long time." —Annie Tran, Facebook
"Colourpop Ultra Satin lips. I refuse to wear any lipstick unless it’s 100% matte so I was VERY reluctant at first, but the lipsticks dry down to almost a matte finish while still being hydrating af and long lasting." —Emmie Scalf
Get them from Colourpop for $6.
2. Give TONYMOLY Delight Lip Tint a chance if you're looking to try a Korean beauty brand.
3. Give Reina Rebelde's Bold Lip Color Stick a try for a smooth application and a vibrant finish.
"I fell in love with Reina Rebelde's lipsticks! Their colors are insanely gorgeous! Their red lipstick in Brava is my new go-to red." —Lissette Rodriguez, Facebook
Get it from their website for $16.
4. A clear favorite this year was Kat Von D's Everlasting Liquid Lipstick.
"Kat Von D's lipstick in Lolita and Mother! Lolita is gorgeous for all skin tones, especially for fall and winter months, it's a brownish purple. Mother was my go-to for Spring and Summer this year, it's a gorgeous dark pink. Her lipsticks get me a full 8-10 hours through regular eating and drinking without having to touch-up, the only con is that it smells kind of weird." —Kristin Johnston, Facebook
"Kat Von D’s Lolita. It’s a classic everyone already knows about for a reason. I’ve had about a dozen strangers compliment my lip color when I wear it. It goes well with so many skin tones and it's just so perfectly flattering." —sarah
Get it from Sephora for $20.
5. Slide into 2017 in style with this ~cool~ holographic lipstick from FierceMagenta.
6. Fall in love with Too Faced Melted Mattes, a creamy long-wearing lipstick.
"Colourpop is amazing (I just got my first ones and I love them)! But in terms of mattes, the Too Faced Melted Mattes are amazing. Your lips never feel dry and they have some gorgeous colors. Queen B and Lady Balls are the two I landed on and I LOVE them." —Deena O'Hare, Facebook
"I literally found my soulmate this year and it’s Too Faced Melted Matte! I wear it almost every day and I have it in like, seven colors at this point. It lasts through EVERYTHING, makes your lips look super soft, and it comes in gorgeous colors! I literally tell everyone I meet about it." —emmah437399eb1
Get it from Sephora for $21.
7. If Colourpop's Ultra Satin Lipsticks aren't your thing, try their Lippie Stix instead.
"I recently discovered the Colourpop Lippie Stix in the color Lumière. AMAZING! I saw on Youtube that KathleenLights had created it and wanted to try it. Perfect nude, but not entirely nude, with a semi-matte finish. My go-to with whatever makeup look or outfit!" —Femke van Seijen, Facebook
Get it from Colourpop for $5.
8. Start 2017 right by throwing a Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick in your makeup bag.
"Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipstick in Leo. I will always get a minimum of two compliments a day when I wear it. My mom liked it so much I had to buy her one so she wouldn't steal mine." —Marissa Gonzalez, Facebook
"Hate him all you want, but the formula of these liquid lipsticks is incredible. They're one of the only liquid lipsticks that don't dry out my already dry lips that have eczema around them. Ever. I give credit where credit is due, and his liquid lipsticks are incredible." —Fyeahrandaj
Get it from the Jeffree Star website for $18.
9. Going for a vintage look? You can't go wrong with Bésame Cosmetics Classic Color Lipstick.
"Bésame! Their colors are all inspired by vintage lipsticks and they last forever! I get the most compliments when I wear Dusty Rose and Victory Red. Plus they smell nice, so that's a bonus!" —Sarah Floren, Facebook
Get it from Sephora for $22.
10. If you're in the market for a new signature red, Urban Decay's F-Bomb is worth a try.
"I'm a warm-toned pasty chick, so finding the perfect red can be a trial. Too dark and I look like I'm going for romantic goth, too bright and it's 'see anything ya like sugar?'. F-Bomb by Urban Decay is the most glorious shade of vintage red ever." —Amanda Howell, Facebook
"F-Bomb has been my signature red for years!" —Michele DiPaolo, Facebook
Get it here.
11. MAC's Matte Lipsticks seem to have the perfect shades for every skin tone.
"I'm insanely pale, but Yash by MAC is my favorite nude shade. MAC matte lipsticks are amazing. They have perfect nudes, dark nudes, purples, and deep reds. Their black is my all-time favorite black lipstick. They all slide on so nicely and last all day." —Jule Rotella, Facebook
Get it from Macy's for $17.
12. Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipsticks are perfect for those looking for a matte that won't dry out your lips.
"They legitimately stay on for 8+ hours, even when eating and drinking. Plus they don't make my lips feel like the Sahara Desert." —Brittany Vogel, Facebook
Get it from Sephora for $21.
13. If long-lasting color in a single swipe is what you yearn for, Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick is the product for you.
"I bought the shades Kathryn and Paint earlier this year and they are AMAZING! They are definitely the best liquid lipsticks I've owned. They are a little pricey, but it stays on forever and it is super pigmented. They also have a huge range of beautiful colors." —Mia Ben Yaakov, Facebook
You can get it from Sephora for $20.
14. Looking to recreate Jessica Day's beauty look? Give Illuminaré All Day Mineral Lip Color a try.
"Illuminaré All Day Mineral Lip Color in Joy is a beautiful sparkly red that apparently is the exact shade of Jess' lip color in New Girl." —Sarah Madison Waddell, Facebook
Get it from their website for $16.
15. Bite Lipsticks go on smoothly and apparently smell amazing.
"Bite Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Kale, the most beautiful green and in such a hydrating, smooth formula." —Natalie Jane, Facebook
"This year I fell in love with Bite lipsticks. They smell so good, and it is such a great company. I also made my own lipsticks at Bite Lip Lab in NYC and obviously those are some of my favorite lipsticks I own." —nataliec435f4d123
"Bite lipsticks, every color I’ve tried. They are amazing, moisturizing, all natural and even have a really nice subtle citrus smell." —krystinam472c8fae0
Get it from Sephora for $26.
16. If Anastasia Beverly Hills, Kat Von D, and Kylie Jenner had a lipstick love child, OFRA Long Lasting Liquid Lipsticks would be it.
"OFRA’s formula has a mousse-like texture, but OMG is it light on the lips and less drying than most liquid lipsticks. When it dries, its reminds me of Anastasia Beverly Hills and Kat Von D, my other favorites. It stays on smooth and it has several near perfect dupes for Kylie’s line (Rio for Dirty Peach and Brooklyn for True Brown), as well as a huge range of colors from nudes to purples. They are also cruelty-free and never do animal testing." —totesmotes
Get it from their website for $19.90.
17. Halsey by MAC is the perfect lipstick for a badass.
"I don't wear a lot of make-up (if any) but I love going bold with lipstick. This is a blue-grey shade, and it makes me feel like a badass when I wear it." —Jerika Layne, Facebook
Get it from MAC for $17.
18. If you're not scared of commitment and are looking for a long-lasting formula, give Beauty Bakerie Lip Whips a try.
19. Buxom Big and Sexy Gel Lipstick's fomula might be lightweight, but its colors are loud and bold.
20. No touch-ups needed when you wear Sephora Cream Lip Stains.
"It goes on smooth, creamy, and ultra-pigmented, then dries down to a beautiful matte that doesn’t dry out my lips or flake. I’ve always loved Kat Von D’s everlasting liquids, but they dry out my lips after a little while. Sephora’s last almost as long and don’t have the same drying effect." —heatherm4c3b44a0c
"The Sephora Cream Lip Stains are amazing and so underrated! I got their #13 shade (Marvelous Mauve) early in the year and it’s been my favorite lipstick ever since! The formula is great, the color is great, it smells great, and it’s really comfortable on my lips. I've purchased other shades as well and I am obsessed!" —Blancs
Get it from Sephora for $16.
21. If you want a lipstick that feels and looks good, go for Ciaté London Liquid Velvet.
22. You will inevitably turn heads with the Pat McGrath Lust 004 kit.
23. Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paints are amazing and underrated.
24. L'oreal Colour Riche Lipcolor in Raisin Rapture looks great on everyone.
"I saw a random girl with a very different complexion than mine wearing the most beautiful lipstick and asked what she had on. I was expecting it to look totally different on me, but I gave it a try and could not be more in love with how fabulous it looks on me too. My best friend saw me wearing it and had to have it as well. No surprise, it’s as gorgeous on her as it was on me AND the first girl. L’Oreal Raisin Rapture, y’all." —FlyBiKnight
Get it from Amazon for $5.29.
25. Go bold with MAC's Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour in Young Attitude.
"Got this the other day and I'm already worshipping it. I wear lipstick nearly everyday, mostly black, dark purple and burgundy. I came across this in a MAC store and it occurred to me that my collection was missing a deep green. I was weary about trying a liquid matte for fear that it might dry my lips out, but have yet to experience that! The bonus is that unlike other MAC matte lipsticks, it. doesn’t. move." —yamsmeen
Get it from MAC for $21.
26. Try Taylor Swift's "natural look" go-to lipstick: MAKE UP FOR EVER's Artist Rouge in Rose Wood.
27. NYX Lip Lingerie is a moisturizing matte that will easily become your favorite without breaking the bank.
"They’re all gorgeous and they go on smoothly." —juliaa4fa533d95
"While most liquid lipsticks dry out my lips, or don’t dry and rub off, this one somehow manages to be both long-wearing and creamy at the same time. It comes in a big range of nudes for every skin tone, and they only cost around $7-8 depending on where you shop." —chloekuri
Get it from Ulta for $6.99.
28. And of course, the trendiest lip line of 2016: Kylie Lip Kits.
"I ordered a lipstick from Kylie Cosmetics in Koko K and I cannot stress how much I love it. The formula is so creamy it feels SO good on my lips. It also has a good amount of pigmentation, enough that you can definitely see the color, but it also looks really natural. All in all, they are worth every single penny." —christian18
"Mary Jo K and Spice are my absolute favorite shades by Kylie Cosmetics. The color is amazing and I love the fact that the lip liner comes with it. It lasted me all through work and even made it through several plates of spaghetti WITHOUT having to reapply." —dorlician
Get it from Kylie Cosmetics for $29.
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.