1. The White Queen’s transformation in Alice Through the Looking Glass.
This trippy TV movie, based on Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland books, took a creepy and unexpected turn when the batty White Queen (Carol Channing) pricks her finger on her broach, prompting a concerned Alice to ask her if she’s OK. The White Queen answers in a disturbing, mumbling voice, “Betttter, much vettttter,” before morphing into a sheep.
2. The leech scene in Stand by Me.
OK, so this wasn’t a kid’s movie — it was rated R, after all — but its sweet coming-of-age theme made it a staple for many ’80s kids. This scene in the swamp, where Gordie finds a leech in his underpants, was every boy’s nightmare.
4. Sykes’ death on the Brooklyn Bridge in Oliver & Company.
Not only was his death extremely violent — especially for a Disney film— but, because of the film’s modern-day setting, also completely plausible.
5. Stripe’s death in Gremlins.
This seriously might be one of the most grotesque deaths ever on film.
7. The scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom when Mola Ram sacrifices his victim by ripping out his still-beating heart.
Worse yet, his victim continued to live as he was lowered into molten lava.
8. When the Fratellis try to chop Chunk’s hand off in a blender in The Goonies.
Seriously, what kid didn’t have a deep fear of having their hand cut off by a blender?
10. Optimus Prime’s death in Transformers: The Movie.
The movie that taught ’80s kids everywhere that even heroes can die. Plus he left with some heavy final words: “Until that day…till all are one…” *tears*
11. The scene in Return to Oz where a headless Princess Mombi chases after Dorothy.
OK, this entire movie is traumatizing, from Dorothy being taken to asylum, to the creepy Wheelers (oh god, those Wheelers!). But the scene that probably made you piss in your pants is when Dorothy accidentally awakens a headless sleeping Mombi while trying to retrieve her Powder Life. And, to add to the horror of it all, Mombi’s collection of heads start screaming in unison.
12. Large Marge in Pee-wee’s Big Adventure.
This scene was so unexpected in this otherwise lighthearted film.
14. E.T. dying in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.
Everything leading up to this scene is traumatizing, from E.T.’s sickly body being discovered facedown in the river, to Elliott and E.T. lying together dying on the bathroom floor, to the government raid on the house. But the scene that really left an impression on us: seeing E.T. flatline as Elliott screams out to him. Just heartbreaking.
16. When Big Bird is kidnapped by the Sleaze Brothers and forced to sing songs as a sideshow act at their carnival in Follow that Bird.
Nothing destroyed precious childhood memories more than seeing this beloved character locked up and forced to sing a depressing song while a tear streams down his face.
17. Judge Doom’s reveal in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
If Judge Doom’s bulging red eyes weren’t enough to scare you, then his accompanying high-pitched banshee squeal probably did.
18. The scene where Mr. Boogedy appears in Mr. Boogedy.
Mr. Boogedy’s horrifying face was as scary as anything in a real horror movie.
20. Will Halloway watches himself get guillotined in Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Yes, this happened in a kids film. IN A DISNEY KIDS FILM.
21. The clown doll scene in the Poltergeist.
So this isn’t a kids film, but it was rated PG (this was before the PG-13 rating was created) and it was shown almost non-stop on HBO, making very likely that kids caught multiple viewings of it.
While the whole film is creepy, this traumatic scene stands out of above all. Just a friendly reminder that, yes, there is something under your bed.
- Arkansas has carried out the first double execution since 2000. The state had scheduled 8 executions before a key drug expires.
- "Stealthing," or purposefully removing a condom during sex without consent, has become a new trend. But victims say it is another form of assault.
- The same Russian hackers who interfered in the 2016 US presidential election are now active in German and French politics 💻
- A popular app changed the name of a filter after people complained it whitewashes them. The filter still lightens your skin though 🤔