1. Top Gun was the BIGGEST movie of the year, while Aliens and Crocodile Dundee were among the top 10 movies of the year.
Plus, for better or worse, thanks to Top Gun, the quote "I feel the need, the need for speed" entered our lexicon.
4. Mark Harmon was named People magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive."
5. A 20-year-old Mike Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion ever after knocking out Trevor Berbick.
6. The Iran–Contra scandal...
Cliff Notes version: President Reagan was suspected of knowing/authorizing the illegal sale of firearms to Iran in exchange for the release of seven American hostages being held by Iranian terrorists in Lebanon.
7. ...and the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster were two of the biggest news stories of the year.
8. Hands Across America happened as a nationwide benefit to raise money to fight hunger and homelessness.
10. Frank Miller reinvigorated Batman with The Dark Knight Returns series, while the first four issues of the revolutionary Watchmen comics were published.
11. Robert Palmer released his iconic "Addicted to Love" music video.
13. It was also a big year for pop divas as Madonna and Janet Jackson each dropped their third album.
16. And speaking of toys, My Pet Monster and American Girl Dolls both first hit store shelves.
17. Mattel -- who was maybe threatened by Jem and the Holograms -- released the Barbie and the Rockers line.
19. Much to the delight of kids (and adults too) everywhere, Pee-wee's Playhouse made its debut...
20. ...as did ALF, much to the delight and HORROR of kids everywhere.
23. Dallas aired its infamous "it was all a dream" episode.
24. The Phantom of the Opera first opened in London's West End.
Since then the show has gone on to become the longest-running show on Broadway ever.