2. “Sing a Song” was originally intended to be the show’s opening theme song. The Carpenters later released a cover of the song.
9. In 1970, Ernie’s signature song “Rubber Duckie” reached No. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100.
16. Originally Snuffleupagus was only be seen by Big Bird. The adults on the show refused to believe he existed and thought he was just Big Bird’s imaginary friend.
This was changed in 1985 when producers felt that the adults’ refusal to believe Big Bird would discourage children from sharing important things with their parents.
19. Kevin Clash, who used to voice Elmo, also voiced Baby Sinclair on Dinosaurs.
20. James Earl Jones was the first ever guest star, he recited the alphabet.
21. Sesame Street is the longest running children’s program in the U.S. In 2008, it was estimated that 77 million Americans had watched the series as children.
- Donald Trump promised insurance for everyone this weekend, but Senate Republicans say they assume he misspoke.
- Blue Lies Matter: Video finally proved that police officers lie — and why they get away with it.
- Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- A Toronto man is on a mission to bathe at a different stranger's house every day this month. And so far, so good🛀