2. “Sing a Song” was originally intended to be the show’s opening theme song. The Carpenters later released a cover of the song.
9. In 1970, Ernie’s signature song “Rubber Duckie” reached No. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100.
16. Originally Snuffleupagus was only be seen by Big Bird. The adults on the show refused to believe he existed and thought he was just Big Bird’s imaginary friend.
This was changed in 1985 when producers felt that the adults’ refusal to believe Big Bird would discourage children from sharing important things with their parents.
19. Kevin Clash, who used to voice Elmo, also voiced Baby Sinclair on Dinosaurs.
20. James Earl Jones was the first ever guest star, he recited the alphabet.
21. Sesame Street is the longest running children’s program in the U.S. In 2008, it was estimated that 77 million Americans had watched the series as children.
- Hillary Clinton's campaign manager accused Russia of backing a leak of Democratic party emails to secretly help Trump's presidential chances.
- Russia won't be banned from the Rio Olympics but its athletes need to pass new anti-doping tests to compete, the IOC ruled.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed at least 80 people in Afghanistan Saturday.