1. The Smiths, “That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore”
When the song hits “just might die with a smile on my face after all,” the casket will dramatically swing open to reveal that I do indeed have a smile. —Andrew Gauthier
4. Styx, “Come Sail Away”
As anyone who has seen the Freaks & Geeks pilot knows, “Come Sail Away” starts out slow and contemplative. Just when everyone’s starting to cry — as they no doubt will at my funeral — bam! The fast part about aliens kicks in. Now everyone’s happy and dancing. Above all though I just want to subject everyone who loved me to Styx. —Jeff Rubin
5. Death Cab for Cutie, “I Will Follow You into the Dark”
As a newlywed, I would play I Will Follow You into the Dark because I am madly in love with my wife and cannot imagine a world without her. It’s a beautiful melody and a beautiful message about the importance of love. —Ned Fulmer
6. The Push Stars, “Keg on My Coffin”
“Keg on My Coffin” is about beer, pizza, and friends and I think people would much rather hear about those things than weep over a Sarah McLachlan song. It doesn’t pretend not to be a funeral song, but it’s a happy funeral song. —Kristen McElhone
14. Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers, “That Summer Feeling”
The perfect song for that funeral feeling everyone secretly hopes for, which is like everyone in the house remembering you when you were young and pretty and there was always a chance for good mistakes. —Summer Anne Burton
22. Dave Matthews, Tim Reynolds & Willie Nelson, “Gravedigger”
With this exact lineup. —Austin Hunt
26. Jim Morrison, Music by The Doors, “A Feast of Friends”
The fact that this was recorded posthumously adds to the appeal. It reminds me of a funeral and always has — plus I like the idea of Jim Morrison urging me into the next realm. “Death makes angels of us all.” —Brad Esposito
28. The Fureys and Davey Arthur, “The Green Fields of France”
It’s a sad-as-hell song that speaks to (sings to?) how what we fight for in life is pretty unimportant in death.
(The rest of the party would be Third Eye Blind’s self-titled on repeat.) —Isaac Fitzgerald
Check out the whole playlist here:
- Travelers are concerned laptops will be stolen now that the US is banning electronic devices on cabins of some flights from the Middle East.
- Some GOP senators are urging caution in dismissing Trump's wiretapping claims — despite the FBI and NSA saying there's no evidence.
- A witness in a US case against the largest money laundering scheme in Russia mysteriously plunged from his apartment window.
- Mariah Carey says she's making a movie based on her iconic song "All I Want For Christmas Is You" 🎄🎅