I am about to tell you something shocking: Most women grow hair in their armpits. Super gross, right? It takes effort to stay hairless! That being said, if you’re a woman who’s ever packed an emergency end-of-the-world kit, you might have thought to yourself, “While I’m living in constant peril, I probably will not prioritize keeping my armpits shaved.” But that would be a total cop-out, fellow women, because you can shave during an apocalypse, and you should.
These brave female characters are survivors of catastrophe who inspire us all to keep shaving, even against the odds:
1. Ginger Grant, Gilligan’s Island (1964-1967)
Ginger (Tina Louise) was a movie star, damn it, and she was not going to let a little marooning get in the way of her having hairless armpits.
3. Nova, Planet of the Apes (1968)
Nova (Linda Harrison) doesn’t speak, she gets abducted and caged, but I guess she figures the only thing that separates her from the apes is her lack of armpit hair. Stay beautiful, Nova.
5. Emmeline Lestrange, The Blue Lagoon (1980)
Emmeline (Brooke Shields) and her cousin Richard (Christopher Atkins) are marooned on an island as children, but thankfully, this Victorian girl learned about shaving. Her cousin probably wouldn’t have wanted to have sex with her if she hadn’t.
9. Evey, V for Vendetta (2005)
Presumed political prisoner Evey (Natalie Portman) is being tortured for information. Somehow, even in that little cell, with only the scribbled stories of a persecuted lesbian to sustain her, she manages to keep her armpits hairless, because Evey stays true to her values.
10. Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
She’s a formidable archer. She’s courageous. She’s got a sense of integrity that just won’t quit. But for Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence), part of preparing for a forced fight to the death is a quick shave. Some gender norms weren’t made to be broken!
11. Tris, Divergent (2014)
While she’s avoiding assassination at the hands of a dystopian government, Tris (Shailene Woodley) is also doing everything she can to prove that she’s cut out for Dauntless. What is braver than shaving your armpits, I ask you?
Come for the zombies, stay for the hairless feminine beauty!
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- At least 40 Democrats are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- Spencer's is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America By The Pussy" shirts, which many are saying normalizes sexual assault.