This hilarious Tumblr reminds us of the words we lived by.
7. “Now, if you knew that homework like you know those song lyrics, you would get straight A’s.”
Used by parents when you come home with anything other than A’s.
9. “You better go on somewhere with that!”
Also see: “I ain’t here for that.”
10. “So that’s how you gonna do me?”
Usually followed by an “all right, then, be like that” or “I see how you are.”
12. “Black don’t crack, and brown don’t frown.”
See: Tina Turner, Stacey Dash, Halle Berry, Will and Jada Smith, Denzel Washington, Cicely Tyson, Nia Long, Angela Basset, etc.
16. “Man, you play too much!”
Usually said when the joke has been taken way too far.
20. “You stay mad.”
You are constantly irritated by things that should not be irritating you. Relax.
22. “I love me some big/fat Luther.”
Usually said by an older African-American woman in reference to the late Luther Vandross.
25. “Don’t do me!”
Often said after an attempt or attempts to make a joke and/or provoke someone with something they may be sensitive about.
26. “You like it, I love it.”
A statement used to describe acceptance of one’s life choices.
Check out the African-American Proverb Tumblr for more!
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Scientists and supporters marched to fight against perceived hostility from Trump — with delightfully nerdy signs 🤓
- North Korea threatened Australia with a nuclear strike over its alliance with the United States.
- The police officer killed by a terrorist on the Champs-Élysées in Paris is being remembered as a defender of LGBT rights and a patriot.
- In 2014, #Girlboss became the woman's career bible. Now, Sophia Amoruso is doubling down on career-focused feminism with a new company.