We asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us what they wish they had known before they started working out.
Here are some of their words of advice.
1. Be patient and trust the process.
2. Your non-scale victories should be celebrated...
3. ...because the scale can be deceiving.
4. Work out for yourself — no one else.
5. Set your own standard for what being ~fit~ actually means.
6. Lower your chances of bailing on a workout by exercising first thing in the morning.
7. Instead of stretching, do a light warm-up before running.
9. Speaking of running, you might never like it.
10. Heck, you might love the machines but discover that a mix of cardio and free weights is better suited to your goals.
11. So it's important to find what's right for you.
12. Lifting weights probably won't make you look like a bodybuilder, so don't be afraid to try.
13. Sometimes you'll have to dig deep.
14. And if you hit a plateau, try a new challenge.
15. But still, keep your body's limits in mind.
16. Don't try to match or one-up other people.
17. If you don't know how to use a machine, ask someone...
18. Because perfect form is priority #1.
19. Not every day will be a success.
20. And sometimes you might not make it to the gym at all.
21. Stretching might be totally necessary to feeling good after a workout.
22. But you can use a foam roller to loosen tight muscles, too.
23. Find some way to be held accountable.
24. And drink a lot of water.
25. Beware of the protein farts.
26. Learn the difference between muscle soreness and an injury.
27. And finally, have fun with it!
Responses have been edited for length and clarity.