The theme was “enlightenment.”
2. A performance by Sir Ian McKellen
3. A man in a flaming skirt
That’s Austrian dancer Ziya Azazi.
4. A midair race
6. The Queen
She looks unamused.
7. Oscar Pistorius carrying the South African flag
8. Stephen Hawking as emcee
9. Kate Middleton and Prince William
They looked lovey-dovey. She wore a coat she’s worn before.
10. A giant sculpture
That’s a giant version of Marc Quinn’s “Alison Lapper Pregnant.” Lapper is a British artist who was born without arms.
11. And lots and lots of fireworks
- The Democratic National Convention starts Monday and it's already off to a rocky start. Here's what you need to know 🇺🇸🔔
- Russia won't be banned from the Rio Olympics but its athletes need to pass new anti-doping tests to compete, the IOC ruled.
- Chris Froome has won the Tour de France. He's the first Brit to win the cycling race three times 🚴