1. 1. The inventor of the sewing machine came up with the idea for the zipper.
Six years after inventing the modern sewing machine, Elias Howe patented the idea for an “automatic, continuous clothing closure” in 1851. The metal zipper we use today was first produced in 1918, but didn’t catch on until the ’30s.
2. 2. The first socks were created to be worn with sandals, making this the original (proper?) way to wear socks…
7. 7. The inventor of the bra also helped guide the careers of James Joyce, D.H. Lawrence, and Henry Miller.
After patenting the modern bra in 1914, Caresse Crosby started a publishing company with her husband in Paris. They published works from Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound, and D.H. Lawrence, as well as an in-progress version of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake. Crosby was friends with Picasso and Dali, and had a reputation for throwing the best parties. She lived an absolutely amazing life.
9. Here’s a 60-second look at the history of everything you wear…
- The man suspected of shooting and killing five people in a Washington mall is now in custody, officials said.
- Charlotte police have released video of Keith Lamont Scott's shooting and photos of a gun they say he had loaded.
- Kim Kardashian said she is voting for Hillary Clinton after being quoted saying she was "on the fence."