1. 1. The inventor of the sewing machine came up with the idea for the zipper.
Six years after inventing the modern sewing machine, Elias Howe patented the idea for an “automatic, continuous clothing closure” in 1851. The metal zipper we use today was first produced in 1918, but didn’t catch on until the ’30s.
2. 2. The first socks were created to be worn with sandals, making this the original (proper?) way to wear socks…
7. 7. The inventor of the bra also helped guide the careers of James Joyce, D.H. Lawrence, and Henry Miller.
After patenting the modern bra in 1914, Caresse Crosby started a publishing company with her husband in Paris. They published works from Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound, and D.H. Lawrence, as well as an in-progress version of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake. Crosby was friends with Picasso and Dali, and had a reputation for throwing the best parties. She lived an absolutely amazing life.
9. Here’s a 60-second look at the history of everything you wear…
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres has died at 93. He was the country's longest-serving politician and statesman.
- Monday night's presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton was a horse show for undecided voters.
- And in a powerful note on her Facebook page, tennis star Serena Williams says she won't be silent about the police killings of black men.