1. 1. The inventor of the sewing machine came up with the idea for the zipper.
Six years after inventing the modern sewing machine, Elias Howe patented the idea for an “automatic, continuous clothing closure” in 1851. The metal zipper we use today was first produced in 1918, but didn’t catch on until the ’30s.
2. 2. The first socks were created to be worn with sandals, making this the original (proper?) way to wear socks…
7. 7. The inventor of the bra also helped guide the careers of James Joyce, D.H. Lawrence, and Henry Miller.
After patenting the modern bra in 1914, Caresse Crosby started a publishing company with her husband in Paris. They published works from Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound, and D.H. Lawrence, as well as an in-progress version of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake. Crosby was friends with Picasso and Dali, and had a reputation for throwing the best parties. She lived an absolutely amazing life.
9. Here’s a 60-second look at the history of everything you wear…
- One of the nation's top legal groups is seeking a wide array of records from four federal agencies to challenge Trump's potential business conflicts.
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- The turnout at Trump's inaugural concert was much smaller compared to the crowd that showed up for Obama's 2009 celebration.
- Gingers rejoice! A redhead emoji may be coming your way soon 🙌