1. "A mom stopped me at a renaissance fair and told me that her daughter thought I was 'a princess,' and asked if she could take a picture with me. The mom was embarrassed and apologetic, but it made my day! I still get happy when I think about it."
2. "I was sitting in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios with my mom, waiting for my brothers to get off a ride. She turned to me and — out of the blue — said, 'You know, if all of this was real, you'd be the magical one born into our muggle family.' It was, without a doubt, the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me."
3. "One time I was donating blood, so the tech asked me to show them my arms, so they could see which arm they wanted to use. Once I showed them, the tech was like, 'You have beautiful veins!' It seems silly, but it's something I've thought about since then!"
4. "A customer came in and was peering at my face. She asked if I was wearing makeup. I told her 'no,' and she said, 'Wow, you're naturally beautiful!' That really made me want to cry. It was so sweet!"
5. "When I was at DragonCon, I got a picture with Peter Capaldi, the 12th Doctor on Doctor Who. He looked at me after and said, 'I love your hair!' It was a buzzcut. I am biologically female, and the cut was one of my ways of working on how to handle being non-binary. It was such a small thing, but it meant the world to me."
6. "My public speaking teacher told me she 'expected better from me' after I got a 90% on an assignment. It wasn't intended to be a compliment, but it sure made me feel good."
7. "I emailed my English teacher, telling her I was trans and asking her if she would use my chosen name. She replied to the email by agreeing and added, 'You’re so talented, (chosen name)!' This just happened this year, but her kindness and openness has stuck with me."
8. "In high school, I had one class with a Chinese exchange student. On my birthday, she gave me a genuine Chinese fan with a card saying that I was 'the nicest person' she had met in America. The card also showed what my name is in Chinese characters. I still treasure it to this day."
9. "Two years ago, my mother told me that I was HER role model. Growing up as a plus size woman, she never felt she had someone to look up to. She said that seeing her daughter — a plus size woman who had amazing taste in fashion — made her look up to ME. It broke my heart at first, but then I felt honored."
10. "The best compliment I ever received came from a seven year old who told me and I quote, 'I wish you were MY mom, you’d be a cool mom since you like to talk about Star Wars.' This single compliment continues to make my whole life."
11. "The last coherent words my dad said as he died were 'I'm so proud of you.' I still try to make him proud every day."