“There is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort.”
— Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
“So come give me a hug / if you’re into getting rubbed.”
— 50 Cent, “In Da Club”
Until virtual hugs are (finally) invented, these will have to suffice. Words by Ralph Waldo Emerson, from his essay on friendship.
2. “… the whole human family is bathed with an element of love like a fine ether.”
17. “His goodness seems better than our goodness, his nature finer, his temptations less.”
19. “I do not wish to treat friendships daintily, but with roughest courage.”
20. “When they are real, they are not glass threads or frostwork, but the solidest thing we know.”
29. … but should be alert and inventive, and add rhyme and reason to what was drudgery.”
31. “What is so great as friendship, let us carry with what grandeur of spirit we can.”
- The Democratic National Convention starts Monday and it's already off to a rocky start. Here's what you need to know 🇺🇸🔔
- Russia won't be banned from the Rio Olympics but its athletes need to pass new anti-doping tests to compete, the IOC ruled.
- Chris Froome has won the Tour de France. He's the first Brit to win the cycling race three times 🚴