“There is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort.”
— Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
“So come give me a hug / if you’re into getting rubbed.”
— 50 Cent, “In Da Club”
Until virtual hugs are (finally) invented, these will have to suffice. Words by Ralph Waldo Emerson, from his essay on friendship.
2. “… the whole human family is bathed with an element of love like a fine ether.”
17. “His goodness seems better than our goodness, his nature finer, his temptations less.”
19. “I do not wish to treat friendships daintily, but with roughest courage.”
20. “When they are real, they are not glass threads or frostwork, but the solidest thing we know.”
29. … but should be alert and inventive, and add rhyme and reason to what was drudgery.”
31. “What is so great as friendship, let us carry with what grandeur of spirit we can.”
- BuzzFeed News spent two months mapping Trump's personal and business connections — and found more than 1,500 in all.
- Rep. John Lewis's books have sold out on Amazon hours after President-elect Trump went on a Twitter tirade against the civil rights icon.
- In South Sudan, where the vast majority of people lack internet access, fake news and Facebook could have deadly consequences.
- Saturday Night Live's version of Donald Trump's latest press conference was all about pee-pee.