1. OK, let's start things off with FOOD. You'll find it's pretty tough to find good Cuban restaurants in most cities.
Every time someone places chipotle mayo on a Cuban sandwich, an angel loses his wings while yelling "no es fácil."
2. ... And that's it's particularly impossible to find a good frita place.
My kingdom for a proper frita and a Jupiña!
3. And you're not sure most people have ever REALLY tried coffee.
4. You get inordinately excited to point out when famous people are Cuban.
DID YOU KNOW GINA TORRES IS CUBAN? DID YOU KNOW OSCAR ISAAC'S DAD IS CUBAN? Because you're gonna.
5. You feel a tingle of pride whenever you see this marvelous dude.
6. You need to take a moment whenever people mistakenly assume Che is Cuban.
7. People will inform that you don't "look Cuban."
8. You know that this isn't a "pastry." It's a religion.
Flaky and sweet, pastelitos de guayaba are truly transcendent.
9. You'll sometimes have to explain that Cubans in the U.S. don't *all* live in Miami.
10. You'll deal with people's assumptions about your political beliefs, particularly when it comes to the embargo.
11. Among the first questions people will ask when they find out you're Cuban is "HAVE YOU BEEN?"
12. ... And this is often just an excuse for people to tell you all about their own trip to Cuba.
13. ... And to make a joke about cigars.
14. People will assume you're Catholic.
15. ... Or that you practice Santería.
Not everyone practices it, and it's nothing like you've seen on TV and in movies.
16. You'll find that people are shocked to learn there are Cubans of Chinese descent.
17. It's VERY rare to see Cubans portrayed on TV.
18. ... So you reminisce about ¿Qué Pasa, USA?
A fully bilingual (and hilarious) sitcom about a Cuban family adjusting to life in the U.S.
19. ... And cringe whenever people quote Scarface to you.
20. Other Latinos may have a tough time understanding your accent in Spanish.
21. You know that chisme is an artform.
22. And you can't make a point without talking with your hands.
23. People will assume you have strong opinions about Pitbull.
24. You exist in two worlds at once.
Fully American and fully Cuban, you might find that sometimes you feel like not enough of either. But that's OK. We're our own community with our very own identity. And that's pretty awesome.