Cinco de Mayo actually celebrates an unlikely victory by Mexican soldiers from the town of Puebla over a powerful French army…not Mexico’s independence.
Haha, but you don’t care about that, you want to drink! That’s totally cool, go for it. But this is how to pull it off without being insensitive/unintentionally/intentionally racist while still getting to enjoy some great Mexican food and drinks.
1. DO get yourself a bomb-ass margarita…or seven.
2. DON’T wear a sombrero at any point during the consumption of the margaritas.
3. DO take the opportunity to inhale a possibly unsafe amount of delicious Mexican food.
4. DON’T wear a serape.
7. DON’T Photoshop sombreros on yourself or call anything “El Bruncho.”
8. While we’re at it, DON’T bring/purchase/or shake maracas. Trust us on this one.
12. DO get a bucket of beers, with your bad self.
13. DON’T throw it back and call it “Cinco de Drinko”:
Now that we mention it, just like with “El Bruncho”: No, an English word does not suddenly become a Spanish word if you add an “o” at the end. Just a good rule of thumb.
16. Whatever you do, DON’T scream “iArriba! iArriba!” or “iAYAYAYAYAY!” like Speedy Gonzales. JUST DON’T.
- The Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota police have ordered protesters to leave the Dakota Access Pipeline site by this afternoon or face arrest.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- The ACLU is suing the city of Milwaukee and its police for allegedly performing thousands of illegal stop-and-frisk searches that targeted minorities.
- #Peggygate: West Elm offers full refunds for the notoriously disintegrating Peggy Couch days after pulling it from its website and stores👏