1. As great as other Disney movies are, they present totally unrealistic standards of beauty.
2. Lilo and Stitch broke out of the Disney mould and portrayed more believable body types without making a big deal out of it.
3. Lilo wasn’t like other Disney kids—she was chubby and weird and sort of dark.
4. She dealt with the struggles of being an outsider, representing a lot of kids in the audience who felt left out.
5. Lilo was realistic. Just like real children, she was kind of a brat sometimes, and it was refreshing to see that represented in an animated film.
6. Even her doll was strange and different. And that was OK, because Lilo loved it just the same as a the other girls adored their Barbies.
7. Nani was curvy and athletic, and she didn’t take shit from anyone.
8. Her romance with David was cute, but it never took center stage. Nani was no damsel in distress.
9. Stitch wasn’t the typical Disney animal sidekick, either. He was a grumpy killing machine.
10. It’s wasn’t until later in the movie that Stitch learned the importance of kindness, showcasing the power of redemption.
11. Somehow, though, he still managed to be the cutest Disney animal of all time. Thumper who?
12. Lilo and Stitch was also super feminist. The president of the whole galaxy was a woman (probably. She was an alien, so no one can be certain).
14. Still, director Chris Sanders felt that Hawaiian culture had been misrepresented by Hollywood and sought out to depict customs and characters with accuracy and respect.
15. The film touched on the struggles of poverty in a truthful way, showcasing Lilo and Nani’s struggles to make ends meet in Hawaii’s depressed economy.
16. When Nani sings “Aloha ʻOe” to Lilo one last time before she thinks they’ll lose each other, the feels were serious.
17. They fought like sisters do in real life. Sometimes they wanted to strangle each other.
18. Despite their hardships, the movie’s core message of the importance of family is one everyone can hopefully relate to.
19. And what other Disney movie was hip enough to feature the music of Elvis throughout?
- Today's the final day of the Democratic National Convention — Hillary Clinton is preparing for the biggest night of her life 🇺🇸
- Plotters of Turkey's failed coup were unhappy with the government's attempt to make peace with Kurdish separatist rebels, a document obtained by BuzzFeed News shows.
- More than 29,000 people have signed a petition for British scientists to keep access to EU projects after Brexit.