1. Stubbs the cat is the mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska. Every afternoon, Stubbs gets to go a restaurant and drink catnip-water out of a wineglass.
2. There’s a biker gang that dedicates itself to fighting child abuse and making abused children feel safer.
3. The word “love” appears in The Beatles’ songs a total of 613 times.
4. During the first World War, British and German soldiers declared a truce for Christmas, and even played impromptu soccer games in the trenches.
5. A 17-year-old girl named Jackie Mitchell was given a professional baseball contract in 1931 and then struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in an exhibition game.
6. Humans invented broccoli.
7. Last year, hundreds of volunteers formed a human wall to help protect endangered baby sea turtles and help them find their way to the ocean.
8. Guerrilla knitting, or “yarn bombing,” is a thing.
12. A knighted penguin named Sir Nils Olav is the Colonel in Chief of the Norwegian Royal Guard.
13. When asked by the Nazis at gunpoint to provide a list of Jews on the island of Zakynthos, the Mayor Loukas Karrer and the Bishop Chrysostomos provided a list with two names on it: their own. In the meantime, the 275 Jews on the island were hidden in small villages, and they all survived the Holocaust.
14. There will always be a food you haven’t tried.
15. The official Space Jam website has been exactly the same, and stayed up, since 1996.
16. There’s a group of nine older women in Tennessee who bake pound cakes for people who have lost their jobs or fallen on hard luck, along with a note reading “somebody loves you.”
17. Guide dogs are free to people with disabilities.
18. There’s a tattoo artist who covers ex-gang members’ tattoos with beautiful new designs — for free.
19. Teddy bears are made with a neutral expression so that children can project their own emotions onto them.
20. A prison in Washington state pairs up shelter cats that would otherwise be put to sleep with select inmates as part of a rehabilitation program.
21. Katy Perry has a cat named Kitty Purry.
- Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have won the New Hampshire primaries for the Democratic and Republican nominations 🇺🇸