THE ENTIRE WORLD descended on to Celtic Park in Glasgow on Thursday night to be awed by the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony.
(And collectively crossed their fingers that nothing would go too wrong.)
1. It started with John Barrowman blasting his way into the stadium through a giant green kilt.
2. It was a bit… crazy.
That’s right, he had a Scottish accent.
8. And everyone was overjoyed.
12. And chair dancing.
14. The Queen literally drove into the stadium.
Parachuting into the stadium is so 2012.
15. Susan Boyle forgot her words during her performance.
16. But it did look absolutely beautiful outside.
17. Then it was time for the athletes to come out, but OMFG there were DOGS leading out each country.
18. And they kind of stole the show.
19. In fact, “kinda” is an understatement.
20. Seriously now.
21. Then the parade. Some of the athletes recorded their entrance to the stadium on their iPads.
22. And others made the dreadful mistake of actually talking on the phone.
23. Or they held their phone like this.
24. And then Scotland proudly marched through.
25. And while some people were not impressed by the ceremony…
26. Everyone could agree that James McAvoy’s eyes are absolutely everything.
27. Sir Chris Hoy ran with the baton to meet the Queen. It was the climax of the whole night.
All that needed to happen was that the top baton to be pulled off. Why? Well, there was a scroll for the Queen to read inside.
28. Problem? The top of the baton wouldn’t come off.
This went on for 20 seconds.
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France after protests last week.
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Liberia has reported three new cases of Ebola this week. The country was declared Ebola-free on May 9.