1. Meet Zack Danger Brown, the potato salad mastermind.
This is Zack’s Kickstarter project for some potato salad.
Zack started this modest project with an aim to “just make potato salad. I haven’t decided what kind yet,” and a goal of $10.
In an interview with BuzzFeed, Zack explained his inspiration for this ambitious project: “I’ve always enjoyed potato salad at Memorial Day parties and Labor Day parties. Early this week someone asked if I’d ever made potato salad and I couldn’t say that I had. So I turned to Kickstarter to change that.”
3. The outpouring of support has exceeded his expectations by a longshot, but Zack has a plan.
“[My original goal was] $10. I thought I could possibly get to $20 and have to make potato salad with a stranger. Now I get to make potato salad with the whole internet! Someone said they could help me set up a live stream, so I guess we’re doing that!”
4. Maybe the secret to Zack’s success lies in the incentives he’s offering for donations.
Pledge $1 or more: You will get a thank-you posted to our website and I will say your name out loud while making the potato salad.
Pledge $20 or more: Receive a potato salad-themed haiku written by me, your name carved into a potato that will be used in the potato salad, a signed jar of mayonnaise, the potato salad recipe, hang out in the kitchen with me while I make the potato salad, choose a potato-salad-appropriate ingredient to add to the potato salad, receive a bite of the potato salad, a photo of me making the potato salad, a thank-you posted to our website, and I will say your name out loud while making the potato salad.
6. One thing is for sure: This project has become about far more than just potato salad.
“I don’t have a very big kitchen so people may have to take turns. I may need people to bring more mixing bowls over too.”
7. This potato salad is only the beginning.
No spoilers of course, but Zack said, “I’ve been thinking of another, slightly larger project for some time, but for now I want to make sure this potato salad is done before I start it.”
If you support Zack’s entrepreneurial spirit and naked potato ambition, visit his Kickstarter page.
- Greece voted "no" on sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. Its future in the eurozone is uncertain, and its creditors are unimpressed.
- The U.S. will face Japan in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.