1. Meet Diesel the boxer. He’s four years old, he’s from Poole, and his favourite food is Custard Cream biscuits. He’s also double the weight he should be.
Diesel is one of 17 obese pets trying to lose weight on PDSA’s Pet Fit Club, the animal charity’s annual slimming competition. It involves a six-month programme of tailored eating and exercise plans overseen by PDSA vets and nurses. Here are the other competitors (and their snacks of choice).
2. Snowball is a two-year-old Dwarf Lop rabbit. His love of treats led him to be 35% overweight.
3. Bruce hates exercise but loves Weetabix with goat’s milk and honey. He is 60% overweight.
4. Oscar the sprocker spaniel has already lost some weight, but has plateaued at 51% overweight.
5. Zorro’s twin passions in life are crisps and napping. Zorro is my spirit animal. However he is 88% overweight.
6. Somehow, Barney’s trick of eating newspaper has led to him being 75% overweight.
7. Joey the rabbit demands apples by clanging his bowl against his cage bars. He’s 28% overweight.
8. Alfie, who loves chewing on pig ears, is 109% overweight.
9. Dave the cat weighs in at 58% overweight. Dave likes to steal his sister’s food. I like Dave.
10. This is Zed, whose abiding love of cake has pushed him up to 114% overweight.
11. Poppy, tellingly, likes popcorn. She’s 32% overweight.
12. Ty is 60% overweight thanks to his giant food portions.
13. Tom’s canny ability to open food cupboards has led to him being 96% overweight.
14. And Jack Russell Max is 70% overweight. That’s mostly biscuits.
15. And Daisy is over 40% overweight - thanks to a steady diet of cheese and broccoli.
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›