1. June 2009: Record Club Cover The Velvet Underground’s Debut Album In Full
The first in Beck’s series of full-album covers was done with members of his live band along with his frequent producer Nigel Godrich and actor Giovanni Ribisi, who happens to be his brother-in-law.
2. July 2009: Released An Acoustic Version Of The “Modern Guilt” Album
Here’s the stripped-down rendition of “Gamma Ray.”
3. August 2009: Collaborated With Charlotte Gainsbourg
Beck co-wrote most of her 2009 album IRM, and contributed even more music to her 2011 rarities release, Stage Whispers.
4. September 2009: Record Club Covers “Songs Of Leonard Cohen”
Beck was joined by Devendra Banhart and members of MGMT and Wolfmother for the second Record Club project.
5. November 2009: Record Club Does Skip Spence’s “Oar”
The third Record Club featured Leslie Feist, Jamie Lidell and all of Wilco.
6. November 2009: Designed A Shirt For Every Record Club Album
Here’s the shirt for The Velvet Underground & Nico, the first in the series.
7. December 2009: Began Curating Digital Art Shows On His Website
The Colorspace section of his site has hosted virtual gallery shows for seven artists.
8. February 2010: Wrote A Song for Harry Partch
Beck created a piece of music utilizing a a 43-tone scale to pay tribute to the experimental composer’s innovative work with non-traditional tonalities.
9. February 2010: Started An Interview Series
10. February 2010: Began The “Planned Obsolescence” Mix Series
Beck’s DJ series had a total of 23 (!) mixes, either by Beck himself or from guest DJs. They’re intended to be ephemeral, and are now mostly quite hard to find.
11. March 2010: Wrote Most Of The “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World” Soundtrack
Beck wrote all of the material for the title character’s band and collaborated with Japanese musician Cornelius for other music used in the movie.
12. March 2010: Record Club Takes On INXS’s “Kick”
This time around, he was joined by St. Vincent’s Annie Clark and members of Liars.
13. May 2010: Wrote A Song For “True Blood”
Appropriately enough, it’s called “Bad Blood.”
14. May 2010: Recorded Songs With Tobacco
Here’s the video for “Grape Aerosmith,” one of two songs they did together.
15. June 2010: Teamed Up With Bat For Lashes For A “Twilight” Soundtrack
Their song, “Let’s Get Lost,” was on the Eclipse soundtrack.
16. June 2010: Record Club Does A Yanni Album
Beck teamed up with Thurston Moore and the post-rock band Tortoise to cover Live at the Acropolis, which is by far the strangest Record Club project to date.
17. August 2010: Co-Wrote The Theme For Todd Solondz’s Movie “Life During Wartime”
The song “Life During Wartime,” recorded with Devendra Banhart, is an original and not a cover of the famous Talking Heads tune.
18. November 2010: Hosted A Mercedes Helnwein Art Show
Helnwein was also featured in Beck’s Colorspace gallery.
19. December 2010: Remixed A Lykke Li Song
Here’s Beck’s version of “Get Some.”
20. May 2011: Collaborated With Lonely Island
He produced and appeared on the song “Attracted To Us.”
21. May 2011: Produced Jamie Lidell’s Album “Compass”
He also remixed the track “Completely Exposed”
22. May 2011: Produced A Thurston Moore Album
Beck helped the Sonic Youth guitarist create Demolished Thoughts, the most delicate album of his career. He’s the video for “Circulation.”
23. June 2011: Designed An Issue Of Francis Ford Coppola’s Magazine “Zoetrope”
24. August 2011: Produced A Stephen Malkmus Album
Mirror Traffic was Becks first collaboration with the former Pavement leader. “Senator” was the first single.
25. August 2011: Performed At A Serge Gainsbourg Tribute In Hollywood
26. September 2011: Recorded A Song For A John Martyn Tribute
He did “Stormbringer.”
27. October 2011: Designed More T-Shirts
This one is a nod to his amazing Midnite Vultures song “Debra.”
29. February 2012: Designed These Sunglasses
The shades, called the “Double Helix”, were designed in collaboration with Oliver Peoples and inspired by Beck’s own collection of vintage frames.
30. March 2012: Wrote A Song For The “Jeff, Who Lives At Home” Soundtrack
He recorded “Looking For A Sign” in collaboration with the band Jeff, the Brotherhood.
31. April 2012: Recorded A Cover Of “Corrina, Corrina”
The cover was commissioned for the Every Mother Counts benefit compilation.
33. May 2012: Released A Single On Jack White’s Third Man Records
Beck recorded the two tracks on this single, “I Just Started Hating Some People Today” and “Blue Randy” at the Third Man Studios in Nashville, TN. Third Man pressed a special edition of 100 three-color records (black, white, and gold) for “Blue Randy“‘s namesake, Randy’s Records in Nashville.
34. July 2012: Dropped A Verse On A Childish Gambino Mixtape
Beck doesn’t rap much these days, but he contributed a verse on “Silk Pillow.”
35. August 2012: Wrote Songs For The “Sound Shapes” Video Game
He contributed three new tracks to the game, which allows players to create original music to complete levels.
36. August 2012: Produced Karen Elson’s Fleetwood Mac Cover
The model/singer’s rendition of “Gold Dust Woman” appears on the Fleetwood Mac tribute album, Just Tell Me That You Want Me, which also features contributions from The New Pornographers, Best Coast, and The Kills.
37. September 2012: Covered Caetano Veloso
Here’s his version of “Michelangelo Antonioni” to commemorate the Tropicalia legend’s 70th birthday.
38. September 2012: Taught A Synthesizer Class In Marfa, TX
The free synthesizer class happened over four days in 2012, and was co-taught with Beck’s longtime keyboard player, Brian Lebarton. According to Beck’s website, the class was open to synthesizer programmers of all ages and covered, “alternative recording and sound design techniques and introductions to looping and sampling” and required no previous experience.
39. September 2012: Produced A Track For Dwight Yoakam
Here’s “A Heart Like Mine” from 3 Pears.
40. October 2012: Remixed Phillip Glass
His remix is part of a tribute album he assembled called “REWORK_” with new remixes from Dan Deacon, Amon Tobin, and more. Beck’s track, “NYC 73 - 78”, features parts of 20 compositions by Glass.
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›