1. The New Statesman has produced a themed issue all about The North of England. It’s all very interesting.
Stuart Maconie on how to the write about the north, is brilliant.
2. But hang on, GOK WAN?
3. Nothing against Gok Wan, but GOK WAN? He’s from Leicester. That’s the Midlands.
4. There seemed to be a rumour that fashion guru Gok lived in Leeds.
7. Unless he moved there recently, that would be a ‘no’.
9. But to be fair to the New Statesman, it’s tricky figuring out where the North starts and the South ends. The BuzzFeed UK team tried their best to figure it out. Many went for a straightforward line like this.
10. We can argue about Leicester, but it’s hard to argue that the north/south dividing line goes south-west across the country.
What happened to the Midlands?!
11. This amateur cartographer got around the problem with straight lines.
12. There was more than one Game of Thrones reference. We think real-life Winterfell is most likely to be Sheffield or Manchester.
13. And then there are the little pockets of southerness dotted around the North, such as Harrogate and York.
Cheshire is the demilitarised zone in the north/south battle.
15. Let’s not forget the Isle of Man. That’s proper northern.
16. Well, not everyone agrees on the Isle of Man.
Good to know we’re all on the same page with Oldham.
17. There is no consensus on The Grimsby Question. Hull is definitively northern, but what about its fishtastic Lincolnshire neighbour?
18. Nottingham loses in the North stakes - but Chesterfield? Too close to call.
Nice to see Hull’s successful City of Culture bid has quite literally in this case put it on the map.
19. This was an American’s take on where the North is. Geordies will be happy with that.
The fat/thin thing is purely a reference to geography, not waistbands.
20. And the debate rages on.
28. Then there are the people a little bit unsure about life outside the M25.
33. But then, having said all that, maybe the North is just a state of mind.
Front page image by rusty_dragonfly via Flickr via a Creative Commons licence.