4. Because if you don’t, that all-important mirror selfie might not have the effect you were hoping for.
5. Take extra care if your tattoo is intended to be uplifting and inspirational.
6. Because poor spelling tends to undercut the effect somewhat.
7. Try to avoid anything that could be misconstrued.
9. In fact, kid stuff in general is a no-go area. Bit creepy.
10. When using a photo as a guide, accuracy is paramount.
13. If you’re going to get tattooed in a foreign language, it’s advisable to consult a translator beforehand.
14. Try to avoid internet abbreviations. They won’t age well.
15. In fact any kind of faddish popular reference is best left well alone.
16. Unless you can be absolutely certain it will stand the test of time.
18. Because, again, there’s a chance the references might not date terribly well.
19. His and hers tattoos, however, can be delightful.
20. Just make sure yours communicate something meaningful, personal and profound. Like these ones.
23. A few subjects to avoid if possible. Firstly: religion.
27. Also on the ‘best avoided’ list: Patrick Swayze as a centaur wearing a bowtie.
29. Which bring us to sex. Look, just steer clear of anything to do with sex.
30. Still with me? Good. I ought to say a few cautionary words about tattoos of pop stars as well.
31. Because while they can be a wonderful way to express your devotion…
32. Bear in mind that the artist who means so much to you now, may not seem so significant a few years down the line.
37. Who knows, maybe even this Skrillex tattoo will one day seem ill-advised?
38. Though if you must get a music-related tattoo, at least choose a flattering image of your idol.
39. One that really captures that musician at their best.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›