1. Mrs. Doubtfire
Mrs. Doubtfire hit theaters on Nov. 24, 1993, making it very nearly 20.
2. Beanie Babies
In 1993, this fad launched with the nine original characters pictured above.
4. Legends of the Hidden Temple
This Nickelodeon game show aired from 1993–1995.
The website for the Internet Movie Database launched in 1993. Although the early roots of the company began around 1990 via bulletin board groups, an official site launched 20 years ago. According to IMDb’s history page: “In September 1993, the nascent Internet Movie Database Web site launched and was the first site on the Internet dedicated to movies.”
7. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Eugenides’ debut novel was released in 1993.
8. Dylan and Cole Sprouse from The Suite Life of Zack & Cody
The twins are now 20 years old.
10. The song “The Sign” by Ace of Base
The single was released on Oct. 29, 1993 in Europe.
11. Saved by the Bell: The College Years
What?! I know. The original Saved by the Bell series ended on May 22, 1993, and the pilot for The College Years was broadcast right after the finale.
Although research and testing on this antidepressant had been in the works since the ’70s, it wasn’t until 1991 that Pfizer got FDA approval for the drug. Pfizer took Zoloft to market in 1992, making this popular happy pill just slightly older than 20.
13. The Giver by Lois Lowry
This Newbery Award-winning dystopian children’s novel was released in 1993 and has sold more than 5.3 million copies.
Remember this douchey alcoholic beverage? It was introduced in 1993, but faded into obscurity in the 2000s.
16. The “Got Milk?” ad campaign
Here’s the original “Got Milk” commercial, the slogan for which was eventually brought to print ads a few years lager.
17. Magic: The Gathering
This trading card came came on the market in 1993.
18. Addy, of the American Girl doll historical characters series
Addy Walker joined the American Girl doll family in fall 1993.
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing aircraft MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72 years old.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".