1. Your middle school cell phone didn’t show up on the US market for, like, 10 years.
The Nokia 8110 was the futuristic phone of The Matrix, but you were all, “Bitch, please.”
2. You were glued to television shows like Meteor Garden and Princess Pearl.
3. In the winter of 2003, SARS scared the shit out of you.
You wore a face mask everywhere. Even to the bathroom.
4. Badminton was the sexiest sport.
And badminton players could get it.
5. You know hamburger buns don’t have to be made of bread.
6. You and your friends have about a thousand photo booth stickers.
And you all looked like you had anime eyes — because what’s more attractive than having eyes that take up half your face?
7. These completely revolutionized your note-taking game.
Ball point pens are weak.
8. You brought your metal lunch box to school and put it in the steamer until lunchtime.
And that sensation of steam hitting you in the face is something you’ll never forget. So many lunches. So pungent (not always in a good way).
9. You spent almost all your free time wasting away in internet cafes…
Hours out of your week was spent playing games like Diablo and Counterstrike. But not on weeknights. Weeknights, you were probably studying at a cram school.
10. …or at a manga cafe.
Shelves and shelves of manga and all the coffee you could drink. No wonder all you pocket money was depleted at these places.
11. You’ll never forget where you were the morning of September 21, 1999.
When your tiny island was rocked by a 7.3 earthquake at 1:47 a.m., your world changed forever.
12. You did your homework at some place with a generator.
During the rolling blackouts that followed the 921 Earthquake, you definitely did your math homework at a KFC.
15. While we’re talking music, A-mei is to you what Mariah Carey is to America.
聽海 is still your karaoke staple.
16. And Jay Chou is Taiwan’s answer to Justin Timberlake.
17. Sailor Moon was basically your religion.
You had the manga, the toys, and you watched it on TV like a true fanatic.
18. These were your after school snacks of choice.
In retrospect, you never realized how angsty the name was for Lonely God.
19. When you got thirsty, you reached for one of these.
Tastes like childhood.
20. The Net was to you what the Gap was to your American friends.
You have the same ruched-front, button up blouse…in fifteen colors.
21. You had a pearl milk tea pretty much glued to your hand.
The rest of the world calls it boba, pearl milk tea, tapioca, but you know it’s only true name is 珍珠奶茶. And you drank so much of this stuff, it was basically a food group.
22. You befriended or rescued a stray dog.
Sometimes, you adopted an entire pack.
23. You stood in looooong lines for these.
Admit it. You probably would have given your right hand to have the whole set.
24. Hello Kitty was on everything.
And if you’re going to be honest, that’s still true.
25. You also queued up at KFC for these Portuguese egg tarts.
You basically waited in lines for a lot of things, but these delectable babies were worth it.
26. Coco Lee’s “Di Da Di” was the song that followed you around for months in 1998.
Even now, the song is so catchy, it’ll be in your head all day. You’re welcome.
27. You had so much hanging off your cell phone, it was amazing you could talk on it.
Truthfully, this still appeals to you.