1. 1. The charming toilet-themed café.
More Than Toilet originated in Taiwan and opened in Shanghai in 2012. These squat toilet-style bowls are a highlight. Find it here.
2. The ice cream is extremely popular there.
3. The walls are adorned with classy golden urinals.
4. There are good old-fashioned golden western-style toilets too.
5. You can take a nugget home from the gift section.
6. 2. Or try the mildly creepy maid café.
There are many maid-themed cafés in Shanghai – although it’s a Japanese concept. The food is largely terrible. Find it here.
7. 3. The café where you can have your own teddy bear picnic.
Another fast-rising eatery trend in the city, teddy cafés let you eat surrounded by furry friends. This one is in Pudong. Find it here.
8. They’ve even got bears on staff.
9. And rather scary pictures of them on the walls.
10. Some of the teddies are depicting religious figures, for some reason.
11. If you go for one of the private rooms you can observe this Last Supper-style masterpiece.
12. 4. There’s this coffee shop inspired by Mr Bean.
Rowan Atkinson’s slapstick-driven character is hugely popular in China. Find it here.
13. Mr Bean is so big here, fans leave tributes on the coffee shop wall…
14. …Where there is also a picture of him as the Mona Lisa.
15. 5. Then there’s the cat café (of course).
These are cropping up everywhere in Shanghai. This one, on Taikang Lu, gets extra points because the mogs are almost always wearing clothes and because the staff deliver a feline to your table as soon as you sit down. God bless Chinese health and safety standards! Find it here.
16. Come on mate, at least put a coat on or something.
17. 6. The primary school-themed café is affordable and fun.
Hope Primary School serves up food on school lunch-style trays and you order by filling in an exam sheet. Find it here.
18. 7. How about the Sherlock-themed café?
Find it here.
19. You can’t look anywhere without seeing Benedict Cumberbatch’s face.
China is mad about Sherlock. Click here for more pictures of the café.
20. 8. A390, the aeroplane-themed restaurant, serves food even better than your average real airline meal.
Find it here.
21. 9. If you don’t want a theme place you can pick up a starfish on a stick.
These are from a vendor on Shouning Road and they taste like rotting seaweed. Find them here.
22. 10. The bee, grasshopper, and grub platter is always a winner.
It’s available from the excellent Southern Barbarian restaurant. Find it here.
23. 11. Or perhaps the live shrimp?
Served at the Yi Sheng Yue Wei restaurant, they taste sweet and are refreshing, even if they do wriggle a bit going down. Find it here.
24. 12. Or, if you really insist, have a sheep penis and testicle.
The Zhenru Yangrou Guan restaurant specialises in such fare. It costs around £7.60 per ball (served cold). The penis, meanwhile, costs around £7.80 and is challengingly rubbery. Find it here. Enjoy!
- At least three people – including a police officer – died in a shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. The suspect is in police custody. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›