3. Former Brat Packer Andrew McCarthy directed four episodes in Season 2.
Here he is behind the scenes with Dascha Polanco (Daya) and Jackie Cruz (Flaca).
4. And he even gave himself a little cameo.
5. Beth Fowler, who plays Sister Ingalls, didn’t need to do much prep to play a nun. She was in Sister Act and Sister Act 2.
6. Kate Mulgrew (Red) played the mother of Taylor Schilling (Piper) on the TV series Mercy from 2009 to 2010.
7. The woman seated next to Piper on her flight to Chicago was played by Lori Petty, who was Kit Keller in A League of Their Own.
She also played Rae in Free Willy and was the eponymous Tank Girl.
8. Laura Prepon’s That ’70s Show character Donna totally predicted Alex’s Orange Is the New Black fate.
10. Real Piper (Piper Kerman) wasn’t in jail with Wolters, but she did get flown to Chicago to testify and that is the only time she saw her ex-girlfriend.
12. And Uzo Aduba (Suzanne “Crazy Eyes” Warren) originally auditioned for the part of Janae Watson (Vicky Jeudy).
13. She probably would have been great at the part because she was actually a track star growing up.
15. Samira Wiley (Poussey) doesn’t speak German and spent a lot of time working with a coach and shouting things around her apartment to prepare for her character’s flashback scenes.
16. Franziska, Poussey’s German girlfriend, is played by Nina Rausch, who is actually German and also played Gudrun, the Campbells’ au pair from Mad Men Season 3.
17. Orange Is the New Black Season 2 was released the same day as the film adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars, and the book makes a cameo.
19. Matt McGorry (Officer Bennett) is in Shonda Rhimes’ new fall drama How to Get Away With Murder on ABC, which stars Viola Davis.
21. Lorraine Toussaint (Vee), Danielle Brooks (Taystee), and Samira Wiley are all Juilliard graduates. The latter two were only a year apart and knew each other in school.
22. In the book on which the series is based, Kerman talks about the demographics in prison and says there was “one tiny Chinese woman in her sixties.”
Oh hello, Chang (Lori Tann Chin).
24. The cigarette lighter Taystee uses would actually create a fire.
25. Brooks and Aduba are really good friends in real life, and both have amazing voices.
26. Not only is Annie Gordon (Norma) not mute, she was in a band called The Shirts.
27. Brooks told BuzzFeed she didn’t meet Teeka Duplessis, the actress who played Little Taystee, until after they shot all of her scenes. But the resemblance is uncanny!
29. Nor has she read any of the Harry Potter series, and she watched only a few of the movies after Taystee’s fandom was written into the script.
30. Black Cindy (Adrienne C. Moore) has a picture of Denzel Washington among her possessions.
31. OITNB creator Jenji Kohan (left) wrote an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in 1994.
- Budapest's main train station has opened its doors after a two-day stand-off, during which hundreds of people without a valid European Union visa weren't allowed on trains. ›
- Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina has resigned amid a lengthy corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink. ›
- China's President Xi Jinping has said army personnel will be reduced by 300,000, the biggest cut to the military in almost two decades. ›