1. Months ago, comedian Nathan Fielder caused a media frenzy with “Dumb Starbucks” — a parody Starbucks store he created for an episode of his show Nathan For You.
2. The now-infamous stunt finally aired last night.
3. Here’s the real story behind Dumb Starbucks: Fielder originally came up with the idea for a parody Starbucks to help out a struggling business owner.
The coffee-shop owner, Elias, was weary at first but finally agreed to pursue a parody Starbucks with Fielder, as long as he didn’t get hit with a lawsuit from the corporation.
4. So Fielder visited a lawyer to seek legal counsel.
He ended up getting the attorney to sign a document saying he would be responsible if Starbucks sued.
5. The lawyer also introduced some game-changing news: Parody law. If Fielder established himself as a parody artist, Starbucks would have a harder time suing.
So Fielder hit the streets of Los Angeles and started performing musical-parodies in the vein of Weird Al-Yankovic. When he found out music parody wasn’t really his thing, he created a parody art gallery instead.
6. Next step: Hiring his staff.
They had great senses of humor!
7. And then, Dumb Starbucks finally opened for business! Overnight, it became a top news story around the world.
8. You can watch the whole dumb episode on Comedy Central’s website. Nathan For You airs Tuesdays at 10:30 on Comedy Central.
- Airplane debris discovered Wednesday on the coast of the French island of Réunion is found to belong to a Boeing 777, a Malaysian official confirmed to AFP Friday.
- Beijing has won its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It's the first city to host both the summer and winter games.
- Zimbabwe's environment minister has called for Walter Palmer, the American dentist who killed Cecil the lion, to be extradited over the animal's death.