1. Orlando Cruz, who came out as gay in Fall 2012, becoming professional boxing’s first gay athlete, will honor the LGBT community as he fights for the vacant WBO featherweight title Saturday.
2. He will be wearing rainbow colored trunks and his clothes is styled after the Puerto Rican flag as well, his place of birth.
3. But he will also wear pink gloves and a pink jacket for breast cancer awareness. Everlast made the trunks and the gloves in collaboration with Cruz.
LGBT Puerto Rico
Orlando (@ElFenomenoCruz) Cruz will wear rainbow colors in his saturday Las Vegas fight - http://t.co/FzkY4IJt3h
5. Cruz, who is engaged to boyfriend Jose Manuel and will get married in November, is about to have the biggest fight of his career.
6. Cruz (20-2-1 with 10 knockouts) fights Orlando Salido (39-12-2 with 27 KOs) in the undercard of the pay per view fight between Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez.
h/t Ignacio Torres
- An assailant shot two people at Texas Southern University. One person has died, and a suspect has been detained. ›
- A judge halted all eight scheduled executions in Arkansas. Inmates are challenging a law allowing the state to keep the source of its execution drugs a secret. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›