1. Orlando Cruz, who came out as gay in Fall 2012, becoming professional boxing’s first gay athlete, will honor the LGBT community as he fights for the vacant WBO featherweight title Saturday.
2. He will be wearing rainbow colored trunks and his clothes is styled after the Puerto Rican flag as well, his place of birth.
3. But he will also wear pink gloves and a pink jacket for breast cancer awareness. Everlast made the trunks and the gloves in collaboration with Cruz.
LGBT Puerto Rico
Orlando (@ElFenomenoCruz) Cruz will wear rainbow colors in his saturday Las Vegas fight - http://t.co/FzkY4IJt3h
5. Cruz, who is engaged to boyfriend Jose Manuel and will get married in November, is about to have the biggest fight of his career.
6. Cruz (20-2-1 with 10 knockouts) fights Orlando Salido (39-12-2 with 27 KOs) in the undercard of the pay per view fight between Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez.
h/t Ignacio Torres
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan called the hospital bombing that killed 22 people "a mistake." ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›
- In a Vanity Fair interview, Rihanna said Rachel Dolezal, who identifies as black even as her parents insist she was born white, "was a bit of a hero." ›