1. This is Puerto Rican boxer Orlando Cruz.
2. Most people know him as “The Phenomenon.”
3. He became the first professional boxer to come out as gay while still competing in October 2012.
He stated that, “I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man.”
5. He may be a ruthless fighter, but Cruz has a seriously soft side as well.
6. Today he proposed to his boyfriend, José Manuel.
7. And he chose to do it publicly, through his personal Facebook account.
9. A translation:
I wanted to tell you how much I need you and how much I miss you. I know you are a person that means a lot to me and that supports my career and respects it which is very important, but above all is always there giving me that push that I need. Now more than ever that I have an important fight coming up for the World Championship […] I want to tell you that you are a very special person in my life. I am a little nervous, but I want to tell you and share with your friends and my friends, if you want to marry me. I want you to be part of my life and me be part of yours.”
I want to say yes. I accept marrying you because I love and adore you. You are very special in my life. You have made me really happy. I was not expecting this proposal… and in Facebook. I am very excited, all the world knows it and all the world will know it. Yes, I do want to marry you because I love you, I love you, I love you very much. We will keep going forward and you will see we will be very happy. I love you, ‘papi’, from my heart. Bye.