1. This is the most beautiful flag in the world.
2. Marc Anthony can do no wrong.
The best-selling salsa singer of all time wears his love for Puerto Rico on his sleeve.
3. Watching him sing “Preciosa,” about his love for the island, in Puerto Rico, with the crowd singing every word, gives you chills.
4. The coqui is a magical little frog that rarely survives if taken out of Puerto Rico, and you love him because he’s named after the mating call he makes: coqui, coqui.
5. Mofongo — what happens when platanos and meat are combined — is certifiably delicious.
The dish was brought by slaves to the Caribbean, who kept their culture alive. Now Puerto Ricans have it on the island and off.
8. Puerto Rico’s beaches are paradise.
9. Tourists can’t get enough of the 400-year-old “El Morro,” but if you’re honest, you love the fortress too.
11. The three bioluminescent bays — Lagunda Grande, Mosquito Bay, and La Parguera — are proof that you can feel childlike wonderment again.
12. El Yunque looks like the magical island on LOST.
13. This song, “No hay cama pa tanta gente,” by El Gran Combo, translates to “There isn’t a bed for all these people,” and it’s funnier in Spanish.
14. El Gran Combo, Hector Lavoe, and Willie Colon had a starring role in your parent’s courtship, possibly your conception.
15. Las Cuevas de Camuy is basically the original Batcave, and the sounds of bats were recorded for Batman and Pirates of the Caribbean shot there too.
18. You heard the Piña Colada was invented in Puerto Rico and thought, “Yeah, that makes perfect sense.”
19. No matter how hot it is, a piragua always makes everything better.
20. You go to Guavate for all of the pork. All of the tasty, delicious, juicy, tender, oh-my-god-want-it-right-now pork.
21. Bomba y plena are defining musical sounds of Puerto Rico and the Afro-Puerto Rican population.
22. Puerto Rican women are breathtaking.
Miss Puerto Rico 2013, Monic Perez, Jennifer Lopez and model Joan Smalls Rodriguez.
23. OK, the guys aren’t so bad themselves.
Salsa singer Victor Manuelle, Ricky Martin and actor Amaury Nolasco.