3. Like, this is basically his personal life philosophy, and where else can you get that in Hollywood?
4. And there is no one who better understands that sometimes, more really is more.
8. But Baz also knows how to capture smaller, beautiful moments, like the first time Romeo and Juliet see each other.
11. Who else would have the guts to revive the movie musical — using established pop songs?
13. Baz also transformed Leonardo DiCaprio into an undeniable heartthrob.
14. Before this movie? Scrawny indie actor. After this movie? A TITANIC DREAMBOAT.
All thanks to Baz.
15. This shot alone of Leo walking jump-started tens of thousands of girls and boys into puberty.
16. Lots of people also suddenly discovered that Ewan McGregor was super dreamy after Moulin Rouge, too.
17. And let’s not forget Romeo + Juliet featured this killer adorable move from Paul Rudd.
Paul Rudd! So adorable! And who knew he could do Shakespeare? Oh wait, that’s right, Baz Luhrmann did.
20. Like, it makes your heart ache, with all the great kissing.
22. Even when the kissing is denied, it’s still pretty amazing.
Claire Danes is all, “I can’t even handle it with how adorable you are right now, Leo.”
23. Even secretly tragic kissing is the best.
(She’s sad because she knows she’s going to die, like, a second later.)
24. And nobody races into the cathartic ecstasy of tragedy better than Baz.
31. Let’s be honest, though: Australia is kind of indefensibly bad. But it does have one redeeming quality.
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Boko Haram has killed 97 people at mosques in northeastern Nigeria, a government official told AP.
- Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, a Democrat with a military background, is running for president.
- Tidal is now the only place you can stream Prince's music. He's pulled his work from other services, like Spotify.