1. I’ll let others debate the relative merits of “balloons,” “cupcakes,” and “songs,” but the chief virtue of a summer birthday is easy: NO SCHOOL. Do you really want to spend your special day trapped in a classroom or cramming for a test? I didn’t think so.
2. Science tells us to soak in the rays: Summer birthdays are good for your health!
In 2010, a team of research scientists affiliated with Vanderbilt University exposed baby mice to varying levels of sunlight. Their findings, unpacked in a report published in Nature Neuroscience, suggested that those raised in summer-like conditions had friendlier personalities and “coped better than those who went through the winter cycle.” The winter-cycle mice exhibited symptoms akin to humans suffering from seasonal affective disorder.
Douglas McMahon, one of the study’s authors, also noted in an interview with the Daily Mail that their work (and that of others) revealed “people born in the winter months have an elevated risk of mood disorders such as seasonal depression, bipolar depression, and schizophrenia.” Yikes!
3. So many prezzies, so little competition from holiday fatigue.
1. A summer birthday puts you on the far side of the Christmas orbit, when gift fatigue ebbs lowest.
2. I feel for anyone with a birthday in December or January, sentenced as you are to a lifetime of awkward combo gifts from cheapskate family members.
3. Aside from July Fourth, summer lacks for any major holidays that might otherwise crowd the calendar.
6. Included amongst those possibilities: SKYDIVING! Go with a group of your mates, at least six, and you might be able to negotiate a group discount, especially if you pay in cash. It’s an amazing rush and literally anyone can do it. Like this guy; he’s 90!
7. Yeah, the water park is crowded, but that’s not to say that you can’t have your own pool party.
9. In a world absolutely saturated with mobile devices and smart phones, you get avalanched with TONS of birthday messages from your friends and family on social media. Even better, because the weather is nice, they actually mean it!
14. People flaking on your party “because it’s summer and they already have vacation plans”? Make your own damn travel plans! This year, it’s Weezer at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas with a pair of my besties. “You take your car to work…”
18. FACT: Summer birthdays get pretty exuberant. Expect lots and lots of high fives!
- Donald Trump claims Google's search engine was biased in burying bad news about his rival Hillary Clinton.