10 Things You Didn't Know About Wet Hot American Summer
Today is Wet Hot American Summer's 10th Anniversary! Even though many people would rather celebrate the day watching the film on Netflix, of course we all still have to work so here's minor fix to carry you through the day.
1) Although the film was supposed to take place during a "hot summer" you can see the actors' breaths in many scenes due to extreme cold while shooting. The "wet" was true though as it rained 25 out of 29 days the movie was filmed.
You can see Christopher Meloni's breath multiple times in this clip.
2) The movie was based on the summer camp director David Wain went to when he was younger named Camp Modin in Belgrade, Maine.
3) The voice of the Mixed Vegetables can is Jon Benjamin who is also the voice of Archer.
4) Paul Rudd has said that he doesn't believe he was actually ever paid for the film due to the small budget.
5) One of the campers was named after the first Prime Minister of Israel, "David Ben-Gurion." Another was named Jessica Azaria, a subtle shoutout to Simpsons voice-actor Hank Azaria who actually attended the camp the movie was filmed at.
Hope he had a fun time at summer camp
6) One of the jokes from the original film is that the main cast is supposed to be playing characters 10 years younger than them. If the proposed prequel gets made one of the main jokes will be that the actors are now playing characters 20 years younger than they are.
7) WHAS' theatrical release was only in less than 30 cities grossing only $300,000.
8) The owners of the camp the movie was filmed at, Camp Towanda, were told that WHAS was going to be a family comedy and therfore were "mortified" when they saw the actual film.